News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tutorial on Static grass

Started by martin t, February 21, 2016, 02:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin t

Hi friends!

I bought myself a static grass applicator about a year ago and started out by making grass on my layout.
It was easy and fast, but the result was not very realistic. So... I tested, bought new grass and tested. Watched Youtube tutorials, read through forums and made new trials, until the result started to look good.

I made a short video tutorial communicating what I learned so far, so maybe if you´re thinking about start with static grass, this might be a short-cut to a better result from day one.

https://youtu.be/ne9vxiIQMes

WoundedBear

That Noch applicator is one expensive little toy. Saw one at my LHS recently for 240 bucks. I made my own as well from an electronic fly swatter.....sent Roger one also. It doesn't work too badly......I'm still learning how to use it correctly. Sometimes all goes well, other times it seems the field is weak. Might be something with the amount of liquid on the area I'm working in.

Sid

Len

There's always the old rubbing a balloon on your hair trick if you need a static charge. ;D

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

My hair can't take much more rubbing....lmao ;D

Sid

martin t

Hi!

Wayne.. Very nice scene there with the cows!! Nice paint work on the cows. Impressive looking tree.
Is it home-made, or based on something that's available in the shops?

What?! 240 bucks?!  ??? That was crazy. Tell your dealer that he should be ripping off his customers like that. I bought mine at 130 bucks, which I found way too much...

WoundedBear

Martin.........do you live in Canada? If not, then you have no clue as to what we have to pay for hobby supplies up here. Try adding about 40 percent to every price you see on the Yankee side of the border.

Sid

martin t

Hi Sid,

Nope, I live in Sweden, so I guess the Noch products are better priced here, since Noch is European.

It was the opposite around when I was in Chicago last year.. All the Woodland Scenics stuff was almost half price compared to the dealers in Europe.

Aren't there any US branded Static Grass applicator available ocer there? It's probably better priced, than the European stuff..

Len

Noch has the patent on the large style 'static grass applicator', so there's not a whole lot of competition.

A different battery powered style that's smaller, and cheaper, is available through Micro-Mark. It can be seen here: http://www.micromark.com/economy-static-grass-applicator-by-grass-tech-usa,10399.html

Or you can build your own, as shown here: http://modeltrains.about.com/od/Scenery/ss/Build-A-Static-Grass-Applicator-For-Model-Train-Scenery.htm

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Len, those are pretty much the units I built for Roger and I. Cheap and cheerful......I think my wife found me the swatters at Crappy Tire for 5 bucks a pair.....the sieves were 2 bucks each. The 9 volt batteries cost the most outta everything....lol.

Sid