News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound decoder interchangeability

Started by Mike C, February 23, 2016, 11:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike C

Does anyone know if the sound decoders from the K4 and the 2-8-4 are interchangeable ?

spookshow

They sure look the same to me.

Berk -

K4 -

Cheers,
-Mark

Mike C

I'll find out for sure in a couple weeks , and post pics if my drop in idea works out .

RGW

If these are interchangeable  sound decoders could they be a drop in replacement for Bachmann's nonsound decoder in the 2-10-2 for example?

gatrhumpy

No because they're attached to the DCC decoder. They're not compatible.

Mike C

The 2-10-2 is fairly easy to do though . Just unsolder the stock decoder from the board and add the sound decoder and speaker . You will have to grind out the coal pile from the bottom to get a 1/2" round speaker and enclosure under it , but it's not too difficult . I used a TSU750 , but the Econami should fit as well as the Loksound decoder.

RGW

Could the whole  decoder/sound board  be removed and replaced with one from the K4 /2-8-4 . I am running only DC at this time.

gatrhumpy

Quote from: RGW on February 24, 2016, 06:26:35 PM
Could the whole  decoder/sound board  be removed and replaced with one from the K4 /2-8-4 . I am running only DC at this time.

I guess, but trust me, it would be easier to just solder a new sound decoder in there. I've done it.

Mike C

Maybe the K4 tender board would work , but you would still need someplace to put the speaker . You may try swapping the whole tender , but I don't know if the wire harness is wired the same .