News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-6-0 with Sound Value CV Settings

Started by DavefromMD, December 18, 2016, 07:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavefromMD

I accidently reset the  CVs to defaults. I left it on the track when resetting another locomotive. I've been able to reset the settings to what I had except I can't get a couple to work.
1. I can't get the exhaust to work. It was F4 (I never changed the default) and now I can't get it to work.

I got this to work. I looked up the Tsunami manual for steam locomotives and found that the value for F4 should be 32, not 0 as the Sound          Value document shows as the default.

2. I can't get the light dimmer/brightner to work. It was F7 (I never changed the default).

It started working when I shut down and restarted the system. Not sure if that was coincidence or not. Never changed the F7 value from the default. The Tsunami manual showed the same default.

3. The at rest chuff sound continues when I have the locomotive running. The running chuff sound works fine, but I also get the at rest chuff sound occurring also. It didn't do this previously and I can't figure out how to make the at rest chuff stop when the locomotive is running.

I just looked at a video of one of these and that sound does exist while the locomotive is running. I 've since learned that it is the air compressor sound and it is normal to "go off" while the locomotive is running. I just hadn't noticed it before.

Hunt

There is a general Quick Start Guide for DCC Sound Value locomotives Click Here for it.

Click Here This is the only document available specifically for the Bachmann HO 2-6-0 DCC Sound Value decoder factory equipped locomotive.  In the document, I have identified several times multiple misprints since the locomotive was first released years ago. Download and print the current file to use with the following.

The following requires you understand how to properly use your NCE Power Cab DCC System.

Program your 2-6-0 installed decoder CV 8 with 8, which resets the decoder CVs to their factory default value.

Resetting a Sound Value decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.
   1)  Program CV 8 with 8
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off waiting 20 seconds and turning power on.

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight will flash 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or light comes on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

Use your Power Cab Program Track to read each CV and use the value read to correct the file .
Also correct Exhaust Chuff:  Medium Steam to Exhaust Chuff:  Light Steam

The Sound Value decoders are made by SoundTraxx to Bachmann specifications but they are not SoundTraxx Tsunami decoders and do not have the same feature set; however, in some areas similar. Therefore, you can use the supported CVs listed in the file you corrected as an index looking up the CVs in

Tsunami Steam Technical Reference Click Here
  Tsunami Steam User's Guide  Click Here

to cobble together part of the missing documentation. This is what is currently available and this method has some major drawbacks for someone without basic DCC knowledge as in some areas only part of what you read is applicable thus can be misleading. When what you read does not work, ask for more specific Sound Value detail.  Note: Bachmann has remapped the effect of some of the Functions.

This takes time you should not have to do but it is not as hard as it first will appear to be.

DavefromMD

I have the document that shows all the CVs for the locomotive.  So what are the misprints? I have identified one - F4 for steam release should be 32, not zero. Got that from the Tsunami manual.

Hunt

Q: So what are the misprints?

Identify using the decoder not manual as I wrote,
"Use your Power Cab Program Track to read each CV and use the value read to correct the file .
Also correct Exhaust Chuff:  Medium Steam to Exhaust Chuff:  Light Steam"

One example of several you will find: the decoder CV 29 default value is 6,  not 22 as printed in the file.

Read only the CVs you are interested in if you want to save some time. 

Hopefully, this locomotive file and the other locomotives with misprints will be corrected with the next update.