Using a Bachmann DDC ready tender on a Mantua loco

Started by Odyknuck, December 18, 2016, 06:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odyknuck

I recenty remotored a Mantua 4-8-2 and bought a Bachmann ddc ready tender for it. I will be using a Tusami decoder.  First where can i get the plugs and how do i wire the tender in.

richiy

Quote from: Odyknuck on December 18, 2016, 06:13:08 PM
I recently re-motored a Mantua 4-8-2 and bought a Bachmann ddc ready tender for it. I will be using a Tusami decoder.  First where can i get the plugs and how do i wire the tender in.

Check the Parts page. The plugs should be there. I have bought them.

The tender already has a PC board with eight pin socket. You will have to verify if there is an LED resistor on the PC board. Some do, some don't. Few years ago I bought a tender and it was wired for light bulbs in the loco. Only a resistor to dim the headlight in reverse.
Cut the caps on the PC board. Labeled with a C.
Resistors, R, two inductors, L. Inductors are a moot point with no caps. Some PC boards, they look like green resistors.

Follow the instructions that come with the Tsunami decoder. Has worked for me.
If you loco has a light bulb, consider and LED. Usually 1k resistance is used. Some Bachmann PC boards, the resistance can be as high as 2.5 k and a dim LED. I have measured some.

Six wires between the tender and loco is standard.
Two for motor, two for pickups from the drivers and two for headlight is normal.
You don't show which tender. Some tenders come with a place for a 28mm speaker. Some don't.

Exact model tender you have with a picture or two would be a big help.

Other than that, a piece of cake.

Good luck.

richiy

Odyknuck

It is Number 89832 C & O USRA Long Tender It has a PC board with two plugs attached. I tried to add pics however they are too large even after resizing.

Jhanecker2

To  Odyknuck :  please read   F.A. Q.    General   regarding  Posting  photos  using  Photo hosting  sites. John2.

WoundedBear

He's got one of these.

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-tenders-2/spectrum-usra-long-tender-painted-chesapeake-ohio-89832/

Shouldn't be too hard to sort out the wiring with a multi-meter. 6 wires.....2 are rails.....2 are motor.....2 are head lamp.

Sid

richiy

I believe he wants these for the loco.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=944

I have one Bachmann with these in the loco and one, they are in the tender.

richiy

Odyknuck

Hunt

Steve in case you do not know --it is DCC not DDC.

Double check to be sure the purpose of the wiring between the locomotive and tender match.

jbrock27

Quote from: Hunt on December 21, 2016, 06:22:57 PM
Steve in case you do not know --it is DCC not DDC.

Nothing like semantics to make the world go round.  Like no one knew what he was referring to... ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On