News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gorre and Daphetid Layout

Started by AJPiskel, February 26, 2016, 08:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Quote from: J3a-614 on March 09, 2016, 04:21:28 AM
Rye, I like those D&SL 2-6-6-0s you have on this layout.  They look right at home on it, even though way too large (compare them with the siding lengths you have). 

I can picture those engines being something Allen might have picked had they come out while he was still alive.  The 2-8-2s and 2-8-0s also had that look as well.

In fact, much of D&SL, particularly the original line over Rollins Pass, would look like something Allen would do, complete with those backbreaking 4% grades. 

Well actually if you really want to know the PFM D&SL 2-6-6-0's were made in a number of runs while John was still alive, it's surprising he didn't purchase one or two of them honestly. The first run came out in 1969 and the last run I believe was in '78, despite him buying the farm in '73. But his roster was considerably sizable for his railroad, so I don't believe he would've bought any unless he really liked/needed them. He already had a stable of Mallets. He probably would've preferred to get the PFM GN 2-6-6-2 operating better before anything new came along.

The sidings I have are adequate enough for an engine 3 or 4 cars and a caboose. I wasn't planning on using lengthy trains here. This is going to be a mining branch, off of expansions I have already cut out for a much much bigger 4'x12' layout. I will be using 2-6-0's and small driver'd 2-8-0's primarily here and the 2-6-6-0's to bring trains in from the mainline.