Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for british steam locomotives

Started by StanierJack, November 20, 2007, 01:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanierJack

Can anyone give and suitable sound decoders please.  ;D

SteamGene

What kind of an accent do British steam locomotives chuff with?  I really couldn't detect any sort of an accent that the Hogwarts Express made.   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

StanierJack

I am looking for something for a Royal Scot, and Hogwarts is a swindon machine. I'm looking for something a bit more manly!

SteamGene

Ah, tha Highland burr!  Try a medium steam Tsunami and stay away from girls with dark, messy hair. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

Didn't British locomotives use a shrill, high pitch whistle? I've heard them described as sounding like a tea kettle. I would think that there would need to be a decoder that offers British type whistle sounds.

rogertra

Quote from: Woody Elmore on November 20, 2007, 07:11:26 PM
Didn't British locomotives use a shrill, high pitch whistle? I've heard them described as sounding like a tea kettle. I would think that there would need to be a decoder that offers British type whistle sounds.

Some did, but that was mostly French locos.  In the UK some sounded like hooters, some were chime whistles etc., etc..

Listen here : - http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/sounds/
Or watch here: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-SleLqG-sw

Ozzie21

You could use a light steam tnsumai with a GME 3 cylinder chuff cam. The problem is than none of the Soundtraxx decoders have a 3 cylinder beat so using a cam is a must. Loksound on the other hand do make a few decoders with a 3cylinder beat but the whistles are those high pitched german peep and toot jobs.

Regards
Charles emerson

Quote from: StanierJack on November 20, 2007, 04:29:10 PM
I am looking for something for a Royal Scot, and Hogwarts is a swindon machine. I'm looking for something a bit more manly!

StanierJack

Quote from: Ozzie21 on November 21, 2007, 06:10:29 AM
You could use a light steam tnsumai with a GME 3 cylinder chuff cam. The problem is than none of the Soundtraxx decoders have a 3 cylinder beat so using a cam is a must. Loksound on the other hand do make a few decoders with a 3cylinder beat but the whistles are those high pitched german peep and toot jobs.

Regards
Charles emerson

'Kay. I will possibly go with this. However, are there sound decoders that you can change the sounds on?

Jake

Quote from: StanierJack on November 21, 2007, 04:46:46 PM

Regards
Charles emerson

'Kay. I will possibly go with this. However, are there sound decoders that you can change the sounds on?

You can change the sounds on a Tsunami, but there are no 3 cylinder chuff options. If I think (***KEY WORD: THINK***), you can use a Digitrax Soundbug and upload a 3 Cylinder chuff (or any other sound, I believe) onto it.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

r.cprmier

In the UK some sounded like hooters,

Really...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Steve Magee

You could use a light steam tnsumai with a GME 3 cylinder chuff cam. The problem is than none of the Soundtraxx decoders have a 3 cylinder beat so using a cam is a must.

Using the GME 3 cylinder cam will give the correct number of beats to the Tsunami, as Charles pointed out. Unfortunately, the Tsunami decoders only come with a 4 beat cadence, not the 6 beat cadence of a 3 cylinder locomotive - could be worse, imagine if it was 4 cylinder, though you could use an articulated decoder for that.

At the moment, probably the ESU decoder is the best option, though not ieeal - good motor control, however.

Steve Magee

Ozzie21

Well not exactly while a Pricess Coronation or Pricess Royal are four cylinder locos thay do not sound like an articulated chuff. As the cylinders cannot get out of sychn on Princess, unlike a Bigboy or an Allegheny, they sound very much like a two cylinder loco as the cranks on the forward axle are set up to coincide with the opposing outside cylinders. It's almost like the exhaust beat has an echo. As I stated in my previous post to get a three cylinder chuff, for the likes of a Royal Scot, Jubilee, Gresely A4, A3, B17, K3 etc you have to use a cam with a Tnsumai as thay only provide a 2 cylinder chuff or an articulated chuff. Loksound do manufacture decoders with a 3 cylinder chuff and if you buy a lok programmer you can alter or completely change sounds to suit providing you can find a suitable sound in their library. An english company called Southwest Digital do make a range of steam decoders with prototype english loco sounds in diesel and steam though I think their steam sound decoders are limited to GWR locos at the moment.

Ozzie21

Quote from: Steve Magee on November 21, 2007, 10:10:47 PM
You could use a light steam tnsumai with a GME 3 cylinder chuff cam. The problem is than none of the Soundtraxx decoders have a 3 cylinder beat so using a cam is a must.

Using the GME 3 cylinder cam will give the correct number of beats to the Tsunami, as Charles pointed out. Unfortunately, the Tsunami decoders only come with a 4 beat cadence, not the 6 beat cadence of a 3 cylinder locomotive - could be worse, imagine if it was 4 cylinder, though you could use an articulated decoder for that.

At the moment, probably the ESU decoder is the best option, though not ieeal - good motor control, however.

Steve Magee

traindude

I went to the web site and heard the whistle that the British Locomotive make, that is really cool sound.
traindude

Mark Damien

G'Day S-J,

There are a few model shops that sell Sound Decoders for British outline. I have listed a couple below.
They have one thing in common, they all use ESU. If you buy one from them, they give you the DSD with sounds.
Since ESU does not list British loco sounds on its download site,  that is your biggest hurdle, if buying just the DSD from elsewhere.

http://www.southwestdigital.co.uk/

http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/Railways/viewProducts.php?CatID=21
for LMS/BR 'Black 5' 4-6-0,  LMS/BR 8F 2-8-0,  'West Country'/'Battle of Britain',  'Castle' class,  BR 'Standard 5' 4-6-0.

If you want to see & hear a 2-8-0 & Black 5, 4-6-0, see you tube urls below.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hBY92EBiU_I

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qG5i1qgMXyA&feature=related

Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark