News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2017

Started by TrainFan97, February 29, 2016, 03:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

Really this is a post I've been wanting to make for a while, so here it goes.  I can honestly say that I do not see Gordon and/or Henry having much of a chance in large scale.  My reason for this all comes down to 1 word.  "SIZE"  The models are just too big and that effects their chances of being made in 2 ways.  Performance and cost.  I think most of this can just be summed up by explaining dimensions and prices of existing models.

I think Bachmann's choice to make Emily can tell us a lot about what would happen if Gordon and Henry were to be made.  To start off, Emily is the largest engine in the range.  As I have her in my collection, I know that the model is roughly 27" long with a wheel base length being roughly 14 1/2".  Now when I measure James, (who is the second biggest model in the range) he is roughly 21" long and has a wheelbase roughly 10 1/2".  If you want to take this a step further, my Bachmann 4-6-0 locomotive is about 30" long and has a wheelbase length of about 12 1/2".  Keep in mind that all wheelbase measurements are locomotives only and don't include the tender.  To paint the bigger picture here, Emily herself has a longer wheelbase than that of Bachmann's 4-6-0 locomotives.

Now because of Emily's size, Bachmann had to alter her chassis and mount both the front and rear axles on pony trucks.   The tender coupling also has it's pivot point right behind the driving wheel and there are 2 holes in the coupler to allow the tender to be spaced further back from the locomotive.  It's pretty clear these changes were made so that Emily could run on tighter curves.  I'm sure that most modelers out there who got into Large Scale Thomas models when they first came out purchased the Thomas and Percy sets.  Sadly these sets come with 4' diameter steel alloy curved track.  If Emily's chassis had not been modified the way it was, she would not be able to negotiate those curves.

The same issue would come up with Gordon and Henry.  Both models would have a wheelbase length being longer than that of Emily's, and with very little room to modify the chassis.  The overall length of the models would not help matters either.  Personally I don't see Bachmann wanting to bother with modifying Gordon and Henry to work on 4' diameter curves.  More than likely the models would require larger radius curves which are only available in brass track which cost more than steel alloy.  That being said, I can assure you that no one is going to go out, buy new track, and start a new track system just to run 1 or 2 models.

As for prices of the models, it's pretty simple.  If Gordon and Henry were made, their cost would be too high for a lot of modelers out there.  Bigger models cost more to make, and therefore have a higher price tag when they become available.  Being that Emily is already $429 and considering that Bachmann's 4-6-0 models hover around the $475 range, Gordon and Henry could be anywhere from $500-$550 if not more.  Not everyone has that kind of money and it limits the number of sales.  Keep in mind that over the years prices on Bachmann models have gone up and will continue to do so.

So my final thoughts on Gordon and Henry being made in large scale is this.  There just isn't enough positives with the models.  Based on the information I've seen from previous Bachmann products, I could honestly see characters like Rosie, Mavis, or even Arry and Bert having more of a chance than Gordon and Henry.  Like I said before, size plays a big factor in a model being made and I know for a fact that's why we got Winston over an actual locomotive.  And no, I don't consider Winston to be a locomotive because he is clearly referred to as a track inspection car.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but if Bachmann is going to produce anything in large scale, it's more than likely going to be models with simple or existing toolings, or in the case of what we got this year, existing models with new features.  If Bachmann were to do a larger model, it wouldn't be a character any bigger than James.  Within the last 2-3 years, Bachmann's large scale announcements have been pretty much nothing but recolors with the exception of Winston and the Ice Cream Wagon.  Personally I feel that if we were to get any model(s) in large scale it should be Edward and Henrietta, but that's a discussion best left for another day.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

UPTODAY

Hi everyone,Dear Bachmann please bring us a HIRO model in HO scale.He is an icon and we need him on our layouts!!!!!
THANK YOU
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

TrainFan97

To be honest, it would be hard to see Hiro being made. He may be popular, but he is very big and detailed. He would be very expensive.

The last tender engines Bachmann made in Thomas HO scale were Donald and Douglas. Flying Scotsman would be interesting to see, not that I expect him, as he's finally getting his first full appearance in the TV series in The Great Race. In the model era, Flying Scotsman's model was never finished.

Next year, I really wouldn't mind seeing Paxton or Sidney getting made, as they both obviously use Diesel's tooling. Sidney is finally going to have more time to shine in Season 20. I'd welcome both Paxton or Sidney to the range.

I don't know about Daisy. I expected her to be in this year's announcement, as she returned recently, but Rosie was chosen instead.

I really don't know what's taking so long for Bachmann to show us an image of Oliver. It doesn't normally take this long. Yes, I know that we're not supposed to ask Bachmann questions about images. They'll be ready, when they're ready. Oliver may be shown anytime now. He will get released this year.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

I honestly wouldn't mind a model of Sidney, but I will admit aside from the fact that he is a recolor, I wouldn't really get what the point of a model of him would be.  Paxton makes perfect sense to me not just because he is a recolor, but because he has such a strong following with both the older and younger audiences.  Ever since his role in Blue Mountain Mystery, he not only has proven that he actually serves a purpose on the show, but he has also had a number of starring roles and appearances that make the character all the more likable and recognizable for the fans.  Sidney has barely had any development, aside from his new wheels in season 17, his usage has been pretty minimal.  If his season 20 episode turns out to be promising and we see further development from him as a character, I could possibly see Bachmann doing him and Paxton at the same time since they would be easy enough to pull off while production has been slow as of recent on Bachmann's end.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

UPTODAY

PLEASE,BACHMANN!!!!!!!!!!!bring back the express coaches!!!!!!!do not want to buy the other brand!!!!!!!
please read this, MR,BACHMANN!!!!!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Plow_Bender

Alright, moving on to something more realistic...

I think it's time I made a post about Henrietta in large scale.  Seeing as I myself don't really have any interest in getting the model (be it just for the fact I don't have a lot of room to run G scale where I currently live), I still feel it's a model that Bachmann needs to make.  Henrietta is a model that if Bachmann were to introduce into the range, would present many positives.  As we all know, Henrietta is Toby's coach which brings us to the first point I want to make about why we need Henrietta.

For starters, I feel that Henrietta is long overdue.  Seeing as Toby was announced in 2013 and came out in 2014, that makes it (as of the date of this post) 2-3 years that we've gone without Henrietta.  Now to some people that's not a big deal, but for those who have added Toby to their G scale collections or garden railways, it leaves them asking the same question.

"Where is Henrietta?"

To some people, Toby isn't complete without Henrietta, just as Thomas isn't complete without Annie and Clarabel.  When also considering the fact that even Emily has her own coaches in the range, it still leaves us asking the same question as before.

Another reason Henrietta should be made is that she is a piece of rolling stock.  It's common sense that rolling stock in the range is cheaper than that of a locomotive, which would help save Bachmann some money in production costs.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, prices on Bachmann products has gone up and will continue to do so.  Just based on what I've seen with both HO and Large Scale Annie and Clarabel models, Henrietta could possibly be around $109 which seems quite reasonable.

Pretty much the only disadvantage I can see with Henrietta is that Bachmann would have to make a completely new tooling for the model.  However, many people would agree that a model of Henrietta in large scale would be a lot more popular than something such as a recolor of the ice cream wagon or a DCC and sound Thomas.  I've also mentioned in other posts that the last couple years has been mostly recolor's or existing models with new features.  I think most of us can agree it's time to start with something new.

So in conclusion, I feel it's time that Bachmann finally announces Henrietta.  Personally it was a surprise last year that Henrietta wasn't announced, and even more of a surprise this year.  Like I said earlier, it's been 3 years since we got Toby, so Henrietta is long overdue.  Yes the model requires new tooling, but it's not as costly as a locomotive and is a model a lot of collectors (especially those who have Toby already) want.  Large scale announcements the past couple years has been a disappointment for many collectors, so why not make a model that we want?  I don't mean to sound harsh by saying this, but if Bachmann doesn't announce Henrietta in 2017, I feel a loss of hope for the large scale Thomas range.

-Rusty

Chaz

I definitely agree that recent large scale announcements have been a disappointment, this years especially.  Aside from the great western van, I can't see anything else that they announced this year to be good sellers.  The DCC/Sound Thomas and Percy models in particular I find to be very questionable.  Henrietta alone wouldn't have made this years large scale announcements perfect, but she would have made a huge difference. 

As I said in another post, Henrietta is long overdue in the range, even more than a new engine.

JLK2707

Dear mr. Bachmann,

Please just give the large scale Toby his coach henrietta! Please read this mr. Bachmann!!!! :o
JLK2707

ClrwtrMK2

You're obviously wasting your time if you think Bachmann will make a Large Scale Henrietta.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ClrwtrMK2 on May 04, 2016, 12:00:16 PM
You're obviously wasting your time if you think Bachmann will make a Large Scale Henrietta.
It would help your case to explain why you think this way, instead of just belittling people who go out of their way to explain in detail reasons why they think Henrietta should be made.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Sparks on May 04, 2016, 12:39:57 PM
It would help your case to explain why you think this way, instead of just belittling people who go out of their way to explain in detail reasons why they think Henrietta should be made.

I agree with Sparks on that one.  Sure I too have my doubts that we're ever going to see Henrietta (as with many other characters that would be beneficial to the range), but if you're going to say Bachmann's never going to make a model, take the time and explain why.  It's one thing to just say something, it's another to do a bit of research and back it up with reason.

-Rusty

Chaz

Not entirely sure what it is with you, but whenever you are on here, there is almost always a negative tension coming from your posts.  Almost every time you come on here you always disagree with someone or get mad when someone doesn't agree with your ideas.  It's honestly getting really tiring, especially when someone like Plow Bender actually provided solid logic and reasoning in his post.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and sometimes it's always good hearing views from people who both agree with you, as well as disagree with you and I'm sure Plow Bender knows that.  As mentioned earlier if you disagree, provide reasons for doing so, otherwise it comes off as antagonizing.  

If you disagree with someone, the very least you could do is to be civil about it, otherwise the only person who would be "wasting their time" on here is you. ::)

thomasj219

That's what a lot of folks said about Rosie. Wouldn't you be disappointed if that had turned out to be true.  ::)
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

AJW98Productions

I honestly think Plow Bender's reasoning for a Large Scale Henrietta is fantastic, I don't even collect Large Scale and I would love to see Bachmann produce Henrietta in Large Scale. ClrwtrMK2, I would ask you to provide reasoning and such for your earlier statement, but it seems I've already been beaten to it.

To me, I think a Large Scale Henrietta would be a great idea, I like Plow Bender's logic, even if it is beginning to look less and less likely she will be made, I still think it'd be fantastic. As for 2017? I'd like to see Henrietta in Large Scale, and if an engine is to be made, I think Edward would be nice, or potentially the Red Coaches, I think they'd be very good sellers in Large Scale. However, I know not all of these would be released in one year, and even Edward isn't entirely likely at this point, but I still think he'd sell well and could be a good investment.

For Narrow Gauge, I think Peter Sam will follow up next, being one of the most popular Narrow Gauge engines currently and having had more starring roles to himself than Sir Handel recently, I think it's likely he would follow next. I think a Brown Brakevan is also in order for Narrow Gauge soon, they've been consistently seen in the TV series since season 4, and have been the only colour of Narrow Gauge Brakevan to extend an appearance into CGI. As for any other stock...well, if we are to see coaches, I imagine they'd be the fan dubbed "Talyllyn Coaches", CGI scaling and all. Whilst I'm not sure if we'd see these next year, I think we could, and whilst I prefer the Blue and White Coaches (and of course, a blue Brakevan to match them), from the Model Era, as they matched the railway series, I think their scaling looked the nicest, and they always just appealed to me the most. However, since they haven't been seen since Season 10, I recognise that this could just be a "pipe-dream". Either way, a Brakevan in the Narrow Gauge range is what I think is most overdue, shortly followed by some coaches.

For HO, I expect since we're still waiting for Oliver, I imagine that Rosie could easily be delayed, and that we may not see a new engine but if we do, I expect it'll be Paxton. As for HO stock, I honestly wouldn't know what to expect, I expect there'd be around 1 or 2 new wagons, but I wouldn't know what to expect at this point.

Whatever the case may be, that was just my quick "two-cents" on the topic of next year.

~Alex :)

sodorlad

A few points to consider:

There were no new engine announcements in 2014 or 2016.
Winston is a physically small model... And he is delayed indefinitely.
The price hikes of Thomas large scale, at least in the UK, have been extreme.
Most new rolling stock released have been repaints.
The new box van tooling is a pretty simple mould and is already being replicated into four liveries.

I don't mean to sound negative. I'm a huge LS fan and have all the models. However, the above facts suggest to me that the profit margins of LS Thomas aren't huge - and this is probably due to demand and sales.

The difference between Henrietta and a repainted truck is simple. People will only buy ONE Henrietta - and probably only people who bought Toby - and even then not everyone will.

Yes, it makes sense to us all emotionally but that doesn't necessarily make business sense. And yes, we have a HO version and people only buy one of those too - however the price point appeals to parents who can reasonably collect every model for their kids, generating more units sold. However, maybe she doesn't sell so well. Bachmann surely base LS production on what sells in HO.

Of course I would love a Henrietta but I think repaints are far more likely for the foreseeable future. At a push, maybe a mail van or the red coaches.
Botheration...