News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2017

Started by TrainFan97, February 29, 2016, 03:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

So as promised, let's talk about Mavis in large scale.  I touched briefly on this topic in an earlier post which I'll include below.  With some of the recent conversations from friends/fellow forum members, I've decided to go ahead and do a more in depth post about introducing Mavis into Bachmann's large scale range for 2017.  Chances of this model happening are about 50/50 right now, so hopefully this post can encourage Bachmann to release a proper locomotive for the range.  (insert I hate Winston comment here)  Before I get started, here's the post I mentioned earlier.

Quote from: Plow Bender on December 15, 2016, 10:46:19 PMMavis
Now Mavis is possibly a more unlikely character to be made, but I'll get to that shortly.  On a positive note, Mavis is a smaller engine which (same as the models mentioned earlier) keeps production costs down.  Another benefit to Mavis is that if she was to be made, she could use Toby's chassis.  On the downside however, I have been told (by reputable sources), diesels are not good sellers in large scale.  This could very well be the reason Bachmann discontinued their 0-4-0 Gas Mechanical and 45 ton switcher.  Then again, diesels in the Thomas range may do better in terms of sales than Bachmann's 1:20.3 line.

To start off, let's look at Mavis' recent appearances.  Mavis has appeared a lot lately in recent seasons, and has even made it into some of the recent specials.  To be fair though, most of the time she only has short roles or makes a few cameos.  It doesn't look like any recent episodes have been solely dedicated to Mavis herself, but have still managed to include her in the plot now and then.  Even with the short amount of screen time she's had, many still enjoy her character.  Even if she hasn't been in the spotlight lately, many of the older fans like her because she has been a classic character since Season 3.  A few of the less intelligent fans would also bring up that she was one of the first female engines, but let's not go there please...

Because Mavis is a classic character though, that's something that contributes to her fan base.  Looking back on when her HO model was announced, many people were just as hyped up about her as they were with Edward.  It should also be noted that once Mavis was released, she was (and has been) the best selling diesel in the range.  A large scale model could potentially fare the same way.  Many people have brought up Mavis for large scale, so clearly there's interest for the model.  I'm sure Bachmann has their doubts considering diesels don't do well in large scale in terms of sales, and that's understandable.  However, I think it's too early to call on a diesel which is in the Thomas & Friends range.  Mavis may do better or she may do worse.  We don't know because it hasn't been tried yet.

The last thing to discuss for large scale Mavis is production costs.  Because she is a smaller model, that's going to play a big factor in a few areas.  For a start, her tooling would be relatively simple, and that might also shorten production time.  Another advantage Mavis has is that Bachmann could easily reuse Toby's chassis to cut the cost of production even further.  If Mavis is announced and these 2 factors play out, it could potentially mean an earlier release date for the model.  Perhaps in time for Christmas?

So to wrap things up, here are my thoughts on Mavis in large scale.  Personally, although not a model I was asking for, it's definitely a model I'd be happy to see introduced into the range.  Despite the fact I pretty much said that Edward (if Bachmann were to release him in large scale) would be the last large scale Thomas model I'd get, I would honestly consider adding Mavis to my collection.  It's pretty clear that the range is long overdue for a new locomotive, and many would agree that Winston just doesn't cut it.  If Bachmann wants to improve the large scale range, bringing in a locomotive (such as Mavis) for 2017 is a great place to start.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chaz

It's always nice seeing people sharing a lot of in depth thoughts on what they'd like to see in the future like this.  And because 2016 is wrapping up... Why not? 

HO Scale engines (just one):

Paxton - What a shock. He clearly has a lot of demand and sales potential coming his way and with the fact that he is only a recolor of Diesel with a new face, it would only make sense for him to be in the range soon. Especially with how long it is taking Oliver and Rosie to come out.

Daisy - In terms of classic characters, Daisy really is the perfect candidate, especially with how often she is used in CGI.  The sales are definitely there for her, despite the mixed track record Bachmann has had in terms of sales for diesels.  Personally, I think Daisy has a strong enough of a following to be pulled off.

Porter - Porter has been a regular character since his debut in season 17, so already he would be familiar to the kids watching the current show.  This would make him a better fit than Charlie or Stanley (or even Rosie for that matter) since he's come to Sodor with more of a purpose in the series.  I normally don't buy newer characters, but I'd make an exception for Porter or Paxton.

HO Scale rolling stock:

The Slip Coaches - Finally, time to talk about these!  Duck has always been a popular seller in HO and clearly that made an impact on Bachmann's decision to make Oliver and Toad.  The slip coaches would also be popular for the same reason, especially with their usage in season 18 and 20.  They also have faces which makes them marketable and if Bachmann makes one they can easily make the other two.  Doesn't seem too bizarre either with how the slate wagons turned out either. 

Apart from the slip coaches, I honestly can't think of any other rolling stock Bachmann could do that I would buy.

Narrow gauge:

Sir Handel - This one is almost obvious, a popular following, a nice color contrast, and being next in numerical order... speaks for itself, really.  I'd include Peter Sam too but I wouldn't be shocked if Bachmann just wanted to stick with one narrow gauge engine a year, which is understandable considering the pricing as well as how niche the 009 market is.

Narrow gauge Coaches - I've already talked about these earlier, you can view the post here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,31790.msg243158.html#msg243158
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

sean1994rail

My updated suggestions for 2017:

HO

Locomotives:

Paxton: Very popular character since Blue Mountain Mystery, economical rehash of Devious Diesel; it's time for a new HO diesel engine anyway.

Stanley: While not a popular character, despite recent speaking roles, he's economical in some part due to sharing Rosie's chassis. maybe for 2018, the 10th anniversary of his debut in 'The Great Discovery'.

Hiro: For a new HO tender engine, save for Flying Scotsman who would be an economical rehashing of both Gordon and Spencer, Hiro would make a good model, due to his frequent appearance and popularity, as well as his oriental-esque design.

Rolling Stock:

Reintroduced Express Coaches: with the salt van making a return albeit with a different livery, as well as the basis for Troublesome Truck #5, the reintroduction of the Express Coaches is inevitable and give Gordon back his suitable rolling stock.

Reintroduced Flatbed

Reintroduced Well Wagon

Reintroduced Tar Tanker

CGI Style Milk and Fuel Tankers: with the Red Mail Coach and the Oil, Cream and Raspberry tankers being updated to match their CGI Series counterparts, I believe the same treatment for the Milk and Fuel Tankers makes sense.

Henrietta (Updated with Face): Probably the most likely rolling stock revision Bachmann will take on next, and will attract young fans who have not watch the earlier Thomas episodes.

Troublesome Truck #6: Bachmann has made four G scale rolling stock out of the Ice Cream Van tooling, not just the Ice Cream Wagon itself, but the GWR, Sodor Fruit & Vegatable Co. and Explosives Vans. If Bachmann plans to do the latter three vans in HO Scale for 2017, since they released the HO Ice Cream Van five years ago in 2017, they'll without doubt use the Ice Cream Van for Troublesome Truck #6, as much as I would agree with some people about using a tanker, which if Bachmann decide to use a tanker for a future Troublesome Truck, if not for Troublesome Truck #6, I would recommend the discontinued Tar Tanker.

Rocky: New milestone for Bachmann for producing a breakdown crane for the Thomas & Friends line. Rocky being used frequently since his debut and he is very colourful. of course, he may fetch a high price due to production costs, but i am certain he is well worth the money, especially if he has working crane action.

Judy and Jerome: Alternative breakdown cranes if Bachmann does not produce Rocky, and Both Judy and Jerome can be made with one tooling.

Hopper Wagon: We have yet to see a Hopper wagon in the range, and If Bachmann Releases Paxton, the Hopper Wagon would go well with him, and a slate or stone load would be an added bonus.

Vehicles:

Trevor: Trevor the Traction Engine had been on demand for Bachmann to produce in recent years, and his recent return in Season 20 has made it clear that 2017/2018 is the right time to make Trevor.

Buildings:

Motorized Watermill

Narrow Gauge:

Sir Handel: Sir Handel would make sense if Bachmann are going by engine number, and his recent speaking role in Season 20 episode 'Saving Time' and possible future appearance has made it the right time to produce him

Rusty: If not Sir Handel, Rusty would be a great idea, being the first NG Diesel engine.

donaldthescottishtwin

We should also take into account that Bachman may not continue making Skarloey railway engines in numerical order, we all assume Sir Handle(no3) will be the next one after Rheneas(No2) but they may very well throw a curveball and give us Duncan or Peter Sam instead.

WilsonProductions2

^^ If you are after a 77049 Tar Tanker, sean1994rail, a website I have found called TrainWorld / TrainLand, has plenty left in stock: https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-thomas-friends-1/tar-tank-77049/.

They also have 45234 Sodor Pedestrian Bridge in stock too: https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-thomas-friends-1/sodor-pedestrian-bridge-45234/!

sean1994rail

Quote from: WilsonProductions2 on December 31, 2016, 10:22:57 AM
^^ If you are after a 77049 Tar Tanker, sean1994rail, a website I have found called TrainWorld / TrainLand, has plenty left in stock: https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-thomas-friends-1/tar-tank-77049/.

They also have 45234 Sodor Pedestrian Bridge in stock too: https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-thomas-friends-1/sodor-pedestrian-bridge-45234/!
I've got some tar tankers already. Thank you though Jacob.

WilsonProductions2

^ That's alright. I thought you wanted some, as you're earlier post mentioned a release of the Tar Tanker, so I thought you wanted to buy some, in the meantime though, before or if they get re-released! I remembered seeing it there, when I was searching for Rosie on their website.

You don't have to call me Wilson, sean1994rail. You can call me Jacob. ;)

JD417

I was just linked to a Bachmann Spencer review video, and the user in the video had one of the Bachmann Spencer coaches to go with it, and it got me thinking; it's been over 7 years since we've gotten Spencer's Coach, and at this point, what easier release could they do?
Spencer's Special Brake Coach.
I don't see why they haven't done it yet. They have the tooling from the other two large brake coaches in the past. (Which might I add I think now would be a great time to reintroduce those, as both variants are back in the series)

Hornby released both of their's at the same time, so like, what's the deal with this? Was this ever answered as to why they never made the Brake Coach, if so what is the reason?

Captain Crutch

Maybe they can kill 4 birds with one stone and produce James' coaches, Gordon's, Spencer's and Henry's all with one tooling. We already know how much they like using the same tooling.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Cheeky_ULP

This face on this tooling

or this tooling

=
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

WilsonProductions2

Good point Bachmnan do need to re-release the Express Coaches. I mean, Gordon has nothing to pull. He only pulls his Express Coaches, but Bachmann no longer do them. I already own Gordon's Coaches, James' Coaches and Spencer's Coaches (All are Hornby), but it will be nice to see Bachmann producing them again. All in production together.

I do also own x1 Bachmann Spencer's Special Coach, but as JD417 said three comments above this one, it will be nice to a Brake Coach for Spencer - Soencer's Special Brake Coach.

I have also been desperate for many, many year's to own Henry's Coaches, which are the Red Express Coaches that Bachmann released in 2005 and discontinued in 2010. Sadly though, I knew nothing about the Bachmann Thomas & Friends HO/OO Gauge range, hence why I never bought them. I knew about the Bachmann range in mi-2011, which was too late to buy the Red Express Coaches, as they had already ended production.

I also think it will be good, if Bachmann released Edward's Coaches as well. For many year's, like I did with Henry's Coaches, I have always wanted them and I still do!

^ Yes, that face would look awesome on a grey or brown version of one of those Ventilated Van's!

Anyway, that's enough of my waffle!

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Hehehe, wishlist time!

HO- Engines

1.) Daisy

While I agree with Chaz that Paxton is far more likely to be released next year, I do think with the "recent" announcement of Rosie, a female character, Bachmann is getting some pressure from the higher-ups to release more characters akin to Rosie- a feminine pink, girly girl. However, I think it releasing Daisy would be a great clap-back from Bachmann to Mattel, aka releasing another female but one that is actually liked and one that actually has character...however, Daisy has been all but ignored by Mattel in recent merchandising and there must be a reason, though anyone's guess is as good as mine.

2.) Winston

I mean, why not? He's been released in large scale (and looks rather nice, too...) and Bachmann does, at least to my knowledge, have powered "trolley carts" or whatever they are called, so his motor/chassis is possible, right? Hopefully someone knows what I'm going on about.

HO- Rolling Stock

1.) Flatbed with Oil Drums

I think you've all heard me whine enough about why I want this piece of rolling stock reintroduced, so I'll spare you the rant; however, suffice to say it would be a very wise move on Bachmann's part to consider reintroducing this. I daresay the suggested oil drums will help it sell better...!

2.) Express Coaches (both colors)

Again, a reintroduction that needs to happen. I'd say these override any other simply because of their necessity- Gordon has really nothing else to pull in the Bachmann range, and the alternatives from other companies are relatively hard to find (Hornby Mansuell coaches come to mind.)

As Chaz stated, I really don't think I would much care if we got another repainted wagon- it's clear many modelers don't want a "lobster van" running on their layout but express coaches would be welcomed with open arms.

Narrow Gauge

1.) Peter Sam

I'd really prefer him over Sir Handel, and his green livery would look so nice compared to Skarloey and Rheneas's red hues. Other than that, not much more to say.

To be very honest, I'm running out of motivation to finish this post right now xD so I'll end up returning to it at a later date.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

TrainFan97

That time of the year is getting closer. One more month until the yearly announcements.

I won't really care who we get, as long as we get an engine, though I would prefer Daisy or Paxton. As long as it's not Philip. *shudders*

I highly doubt large scale Salty has a chance of being made at this point, given the fact that he's the first HO engine to be discontinued in the range, meaning he didn't sell well. If any diesel has a chance of being made in large scale, it would be Mavis.

And Gordon, despite having no express coaches anymore, is still one of the bestsellers. Currently #1.

As for new tender engines, Hiro would be highly detailed, and Flying Scotsman has two tenders. Both sound a little problematic.

It's a shame 'Arry and Bert didn't sell so good, even though their Bachmann models are superior compared to their awful Hornby models. Hopefully, if Paxton gets made, he will sell much better.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

BassTbone

I know he's fairly new, but I'd like to see Ryan.  He has a colorful paint scheme and I like him on the show. 

WilsonProductions2

^^ Yes, both Express Coaches need to be brought back. I am fed up waiting to get Henry's and Edward's Coaches now! I've been waiting for too long! ;)

I also want Bachmann to re-release all of the discontinued wagons.

^ A Thomas & Friends double tendered Flying Scotsman would be amazing to own, however it stands that he has only had one recent appearance in the TV series, that being The Great Race. I think unless Flying Scotsman becomes regular character returning often in the TV series, his chance is slim of Bachmann releasing him.

Hiro would a much better offer, as he appears very often and would stand out in the Bachmann range very well. However, Hiro is a large Japanese loco, so Bachmann producing him, may not be very cost effective. I am sure he would have the same retail price as Spencer, or more!

EDIT:
I hope Bachmann announce a loco or some rolling stock that have never been released before. Hornby are not releasing any thing in their Thomas range this year, so I am focused on Bachmann, releasing something amazing!