News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Codes and wheels/couplers too

Started by Deland, February 29, 2016, 07:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Best thing about Tichy is they're only about an hours drive from where I live! ;D ;D

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Deland

Whiz, I was born and mostly raised in Amarillo and some in Waynoka OK. (Santa Fe family) I'll be there in a few weeks to visit a sister who still lives there. My in-laws(I won the lottery on in law) live in McKinney so I fly into Dallas, pick up a car from my in laws and take them to dinner and stay a couple of days, visit some Dallas area train stores, then to Amarillo to see my sis, Waynoka to see an aunt who is 84 and some nieces and great nephews, then to OKC to see another sis and home to NC. I leave the 19th, the day after a local train show.

If anyone has suggestions on train shops in Big "D" please post up. I'll be there a couple of days with in laws then may stay a day to see trains.

I want to thank you all again for sharing your insights and knowledge along with resources for parts and great suggestions on tools. I learned years ago where to spend money on tools, but didn't know what I would need for trains. I always buy quality tools and have a 5'6" tall 42" wide roll away for my basic set of hand tools and other boxes for air, one for electric and one for battery powered tools. I'll buy a cheap tool but only if it will see very limited use, like one time. Someone suggested a Dremel and I have one that is 20 years old and has probably been used about a dozen times. It'll probably get used a lot more now.

I do have some metalworking tools and skills but not yet ready or too interested in brass, unless it's for the reloading bench. I see that it's really nice looking stuff but my pockets are a bit shallow.

OK guys, I'm off to the Radio Shack to get screws and Homies for foam board. Maybe I'll make some progress today on something.

electrical whiz kid

"...Amarillo by mornin', Amarillo, I'll be there..."-George Strait

I remember I saw  Palo Duro Canyon for the first time-went horse-backing there.  What a beautiful place!  At the time, I hadn't been too far from Massachusetts; and for me at eighteen, it was a sight to behold!!  It was funny-I had just graduated from school at Chanute AFB, and got to 'Rillo in the middle of March.  It was a beautiful day, around 72 when I got to CQ to sign in, and I thought I'd hit the jackpot!  The next day (mon) I got outside BAQ in my shirtsleeves, and the icy wind hit me like an express freight!  That's "Big A" for you!  maybe you remember the "Palo Duro Dons"?

There are a lot of on-line supply sites here, lots of them in monthly pubs like RMC; so the world is pretty much your apple.

RIch C.

Deland

I'm a former "Don" Then I became a Waynoka "Railroader". Palo Duro Canyon is a great place. My last job there, was for a man who owned several Pharmacies in Amarillo, Canyon, and the area. He also owned a Ranch near Clarendon which was on one of the private areas of the PD Canyon. I spent a lot of time on that Ranch and it was even better than the Canyon because being private Property, there weren't any people around. There was a private campground right on a creek. There was a spring fed waterfall of about 7-8 ft that flowed 65* water year round. I used to go Skinny dipping/shower under it after a 100* day of work. Then Like you said, it might be a foot of snow the next afternoon. Nothing like wearing a Parka to work and wanting your shorts by quitting time and being able to fly a kite through it all.