News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound in a medium vandy tender

Started by Jim2903, November 20, 2007, 04:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim2903

Has anyone installed a sound decoder in the Bachmann medium Vanderbilt tender? I bought a vandy to switch out on one loco for some variety in my mini-fleet of three Spectrum 2-8-0's. In one of them, I've installed the old Soundtraxx PnP made for this engine's square tender (wish they still made these decoders), but I'm thinking ahead to how I might put sound in the vandy. I'm eager to hear some input.

Thanks,
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

SteamGene

The speaker will fit under the coal load.  You will need to drill a hole in the bunker wall to run wires from decoder to speaker.  Go for a small decoder.  IIRC, a 1" speaker will just fit.  Measure to be sure before ordering.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

For you peace of mind, Tony's offers an enclosure that is just great, as it saves a lot of work, and headaches.  It is worth the extra dough.

Like Gene, I removed the oil bunker, but will be raising the sides as soon as I figure out what I want, and make some resin castings.
As far as the sound holes, there are several approaches:  You can use a "coal load" stolen from another loco with sound holes, you can use screen mesh covered with a glued-on layer of coal, and you can also try using some foam rubber (black-like the stuff in the Spectrum boxes...), carve it to your liking, coat it with coal, and voy-la-a coal load that sings...

There is plenty of room for a Tsunami type decoder to hide in one of these tenders; plus if you want to modify the electricals, that option is also open to you.

Now; aren't you glad you model steam?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!