News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum F7A and B

Started by Rusty Rail, March 03, 2016, 05:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Rail

Good day to all. I have recently purchased non DCC Spectrum HO F7A and F7B units at a local show. They are new in unopened boxes and are DC only. I have purchased a sound decoder and a function only decoder to install in the locomotives. It seems like a straight forward install, but I have been given some mixed advice. On the internet I have seen where you are required to snip off the wheel wiper and then solder a wire on the truck frame. Nowhere on the Soundtraxx web site does it instruct you to do this step. So my question is: should I snip the wiper off, or not?  ???
Any help gentlemen would be fine. I am also installing a sound decoder in a Bachmann GP 7 as well. Thanks to all who respond in helping with my dilemma.  :)

Rusty Rail

Len

It's not the wheel wiper that gets snipped, it's the upper chassis wiper that gets taken out. These are instructions for installing a decoder in the F9, which is similar:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/EMD%20F9/EMD_F9.html

Note that the piece that rubs against the back of the wheels is NOT removed, only that piece that rubs against the bottom of the chassis.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.