News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD DD40AX decoders

Started by N-gager, March 02, 2016, 09:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-gager

I have multiple EMD DD40AX I want to 'speed' match. Decoder pro won't read the decoders so I can't tell what decoders are installed.
I have both DCC w sound and DCC without models.
Anyone know what decoder models are used in both?

gatrhumpy

The sound versions are by Soundtraxx.

Hunt

DCC without sound
E-Z Command decoders, which are manufactured by Bachmann using a Lenz design
do not recall if EMD DD40AX uses  2 or 4 function
Click Here for 2 function
Click Here for 4 function

DCC with sound
SoundTraxx Bachmann Sound Value Family, which are manufactured by SoundTraxx incorporating Bachmann specifications
Click Here for Diesel

Hunt

more,
EMD DD40AX Sound Value
    Click Here   for PDF file listing supported horns,  CVs and their default.

Brewman

N-gager,

Depending on what interface you are using for the Decoder Pro, you will probably have trouble with the sound decoders. I am using a Digitrax PR3 and it will not read most sound decoders with out putting extra power to it. I use a 16 volt power supply and haven't blown it up yet. :) Most interfaces recommend a power booster for sound decoder programming. I did find out I could write to the decoder without the extra power, just couldn't read the decoder. These are what you want to adjust:
66 Forward Trim 128
67-94 Speed Table Varies
95 Reverse Trim 128

Enable the speed table and then adjust the trim, 128 is in the middle. Higher up to 255 will increase the overall speed and below 128 will decrease.
To my knowledge there are no adjustments for the ez-command decoders other than setting the start voltage to 0, the default is 10.

Barry

Hunt

Note  - Out of the box -- while supported by the Sound Value decoder CVs 66 through 95 are inactive.

CVs 2, 5 and 6 are active since CV 25 = 0 and CV 29 = 6.

N-gager

Just for the record - answer from Bachmann on decoders used.

On the item # 62257 this is a 2 function decoder made by a German company called Lenz.
The 65153 is a proprietary sound decoder made for us by Soundtraxx.

Thanks for the advise on CV's. Will be looking into it soon.

Hunt

CV 2 is the only speed curve related CV supported to date by a basic Bachmann E-Z Command decoder.

Hunt

Quote from: N-gager on March 03, 2016, 06:49:47 PM
Just for the record - answer from Bachmann on decoders used.

On the item # 62257 this is a 2 function decoder made by a German company called Lenz.

E-Z Command decoders, which are manufactured by Bachmann using a Lenz design

Read CV 8 Manufacturer ID
       CV 8 = 101 is  Bachmann Trains
       CV 8 =  99  is Lenz Elektronik GmbH