Bachmann SF 4-8-4, last release version, DCC ?

Started by propmeup1, March 06, 2016, 11:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

propmeup1

Has anyone put a decoder in one of the latest released engine on this class and if so was it difficult to do ?    I put decoders in engines that were designed to receive them but never one that hasn't been made to receive one.   

I know about isolating the motor etc but is it pretty much decoder friendly for the start ?

Thank you,

Keith

gatrhumpy

It's actually somewhat difficult. You have to take apart the shell and chassis to isolate the motor. Sounds logical, but it's somewhat difficult to do if you haven't done it before. I installed a TCS sound decoder in the tender, and it was rather difficult to isolate the motor and run the wires to the tender for the decoder. I also installed tender pickup wires from the tender wheels.

spookshow

The contacts on the new motors are a bit more difficult to access and isolate from the chassis. Unlike previous versions (that had the contacts clearly visible on the sides of the motor) the latest version's contacts are on one end and tucked away inside the chassis -

Cheers,
-Mark

propmeup1

I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I pick up one of the newer version of this engine.  Thanks for the replies,

Keith