News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing shell to add weight

Started by JRP, March 06, 2016, 09:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRP

Hi, I have an HO 4 bay grain hopper and want to remove the main "body" in order to add weight inside (it's 3 ounces but should be 6.5 based on length and NMRA standards.  Any suggestions on how to remove this without breaking it?  I see tabs on the bottom, but am afraid I will ruin it.   
Thanks.

JRP

K487

JRP

Here's what I did to get some added weight to some HO covered hoppers (when the roof has been glued on.)

Looking at a covered hopper from the side we see the dump chutes poking out below the side sheets of the car.  In my experience most HO covered hoppers' chutes continue upward out-of-site thereby making an upside-down "V". 

So, I turn the the covered hopper upside-down, mix a batch of caulk and used lead bbs (got a 5-poind box off ebay a few years ago -  very inexpensive), cleaned the bbs, then mixed them with the caulk. 

Make sure the now-upside down hopper Vs are clean, and put your bb/caulk weight mix down into the V(s), let them set 1/2 to one day to cure, and viola! - you've got yourself a few ounces of HIDDEN weight, and it's relatively down low.

Hope this is helpful.

K487

K487

Wayne:

Thanks for the attaboy.

VERY nice pics of your RR there!

K487 (Doug)