News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

speaker & decoder location

Started by breezy8, March 08, 2016, 05:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breezy8

I just bought a spectrum 4-6-0 and was wondering.....I want to install a soundtraxx economi decoder and speaker......My question is...where is the best place to mount these.?  There is room in the tender for the decoder, but I am running out of room for a speaker really fast....and if you can, what speaker would you recommend?....Many thanks....breezy8

HoModeler

Every Engine is different when it comes to speaker install some Engines just don't allow it for example I installed a speaker & actually had to custom make a box for it & tack hot glue it into the shell I installed it into a U-25 U-Boat Engine & older ATLAS I believe Well it was more problems / Issues that it was worth the sound was Muffled & Low I even drilled very small holes into the Top of the shell to make the sound come out more made no difference I even cut out the Rad Vent's on the sides of the shell Still made no difference still had the Muffled sound " I believe because the shell of the loco was narrow & small did not help matters"... So I wound up taking the DCC / Sound system out & saving it for something else I had to SCRAP the LOCO Shell...

In your Case Tenders are norm the spot all that stuff is placed in you will just have find the correct size speaker there are a few speakers on the market...

brokenrail

Make sure you get a speaker that will handle the power of the economi, or watch your volume levels.It has a 2 watt amp compared to the 1 amp from a Tsumani.Found the weak speaker with mine messing around with that eq and ended up getting some good ones that would handle the power.They are impressive when they are adjusted out.
Johnny Adam ;)