News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-10-2 minimum radius

Started by ryeguyisme, March 16, 2016, 12:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Today I humored the idea of how small a radius my 2-10-2 could do and to my surprise it will traverse 8-9/16" inch radius with ease, better than the spectrum 2-8-0 can :o

gatrhumpy

Yes, Bachmann said the minimum radius is 19", but mine can easily traverse 9 3/4" radius curves.

ryeguyisme

Almost tempted to make a decapod out of one. Mine has a shorter USRA tender on it.

James in FL

Quoteto my surprise it will traverse 8-9/16" inch radius with ease
Quotebut mine can easily traverse 9 3/4" radius curves.

Wow!
Who'd of thunk it?
... That's tight.

Would it be possible for either of you to measure the gauge of each driver and post?
Does it play nice with your turnouts?
What number and whose turnouts do you have on your layout(s)?

ryeguyisme

I'm using Kato Unitrack #4 turnouts and I don't have an NMRA gauge for N scale yet.

In HO scale this same trackage would be 15 1/2" radius and the HO 2-10-2 struggles around 18". My N scale 2-10-2 doesn't struggle at all, although it looks a tad bit ridiculous doing it.

James in FL

It appears the middle driver (#3) is blind.
Yes?

Quoteand I don't have an NMRA gauge for N scale yet.

Never mind an NMRA gauge , calipers will do.

gatrhumpy

I've got Kato track and mine has no problem with #4 or #6 turnouts.

Mike C

Quote from: James in FL on March 16, 2016, 11:24:23 PM
It appears the middle driver (#3) is blind.
Yes?

Quoteand I don't have an NMRA gauge for N scale yet.

Never mind an NMRA gauge , calipers will do.

Yes the middle driver is blind .  These are excellent running locos , I added sound to mine .

RGW

I really like mine,I do not have any problems with curves,but all of mine are 19r with 28r easements (unitrack ) It also pulls very well ,43 cars up a 2% grade on a curve and it could pull more.

It did not pull like this at first ,but thanks to  Mark who sent a tag to I think victor M on how to  fix the the drive wheel excessive play It now  pulls like a mule.

I beleave the prototype also had a blind drive wheel.