News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers

Started by Taylortech1, April 14, 2016, 03:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylortech1

I am getting back into my n scale RR. All my cars and locos have the rapido couplers. The question is, was there ever a direct conversion kit from the rapido to the newer nuckler type. Meaning that I don't have to replace all the trucks to accomplish this. I know Bachmann has the ez mate type but in no way can one convert to these without a wholesale buying of appropriate trucks. Any suggestions?

brokemoto

If it is older B-mann, the almost universal MT conversion is 1133.  You can use 1134 if you are running on really sharp curves, as the 1134 is really an 1133 with a longer shank.

If you go to Micro-Trains' website, there is a conversion table there.

If you want to go body mount, there are several possibilities;  1023, 2004 and some others.

You should buy the coupler height gauge and the MT coupler tweezers.  A set of small pin vises and some jewellers' screwdrivers are necessary, as well.

Red Caboose sells Unitmates in short, medium and long shank.   Those are dummy couplers.  They will mate with almost any knuckle couplers, but are not working couplers, as are the MTs, Accumates and McHenrys.  You must couple the Unimates by hand.

If you can find some old Kato, they will mate with knuckle couplers.  They have a springy shank.

Taylortech1

Thanks for your feedback and help. Have to order some and get started converting a few cars.