News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

White Pass Tank Car

Started by BillC, March 11, 2016, 02:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillC

Recently purchased a Bachmann White Pass Tank car from Ebay.  The trucks will not swivel therefore it will not track around curves.  Upon investigation, it appears the arm for the coupler that is attached to the truck first rises toward the chassis to clear the axle it extends over.  This rise causes the arm to fit between two pieces extending from the chassis and keeps the truck from swiveling.  My question is are these the correct trucks and a spacer is missing between the truck and chassis?  This is not the truck that is illustrated on the any parts diagram for the 'narrow frame tanker' or any other rolling stock, nor is it shown as available in the parts department.

I have seen pictures of other White Pass tankers with the same setup.  The seller also had no clue, he bought it at a train show and only used it for display purposes. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Bill,

There were White Pass tank Cars of several types.  Is yours Spectrum or standard line single dome.  If yours is the Big Hauler Standard line car from the latest run it should have archbar trucks and metal wheels. 

Here is a link to one, check out the trucks and couplers. enlarge it for a better view.  This is what is stock.  Mine do not have a spacer.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_443_450_451&products_id=4960

If this is what you have take a close up of the problem and post it and we can try to help.  If not then you have unfortunately taken an EBay hit.  People often change an item, by removing parts and adding parts. one of the most common being removing the metal wheels and putting cheaper plastic wheels on a car.

Sorry I can't help more, but send a pic if you can, if it was advertised as being in operating condition you may want to return it. Sellers say a lot of things, but......

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

BillC

Thanks for replying Loco Bill,

I fully understand what you are saying about Ebay, risky at best!

Anyway, the tanker I received appears to be a single dome product of the Big Hauler Standard Line.  It wasn't advertised as operating.  Advertised as "only for display purposes".   I've since found the couplers won't even join with the coupler on the coal tender.  I stopped by a hobby shop and looked at a Big Hauler tank car and it definitely has a different truck.  I beginning to think I may end up purchasing two sets of trucks.  If that is the case, would I be able to purchase the trucks with the plastic wheels (model PN-8188) and replace them with the metal wheels in the current trucks or do I need to buy the metal wheel truck (model G98901)?  The frames look to be the same whether they are plastic or metal wheels.

I tried to upload pics but no matter how small I make them this system tells me the 'upload buffer is full'.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bill C,

Bill, yes you can buy the trucks with the plastic wheels, and probably use the metal ones from the trucks you have.  I have successfully used most brands metal wheels in Bachmann Trucks and even Bachmann metal wheels in other brands trucks. I say probably only because I can't see what you have and so do not want to absolutely guarantee it. 

To upload a picture here you have to first put it in photo holding program like photobucket, then post the link here.

Still in all your WP&Y tank car is very nicely detailed and worth keeping once you get the right trucks.

Good Luck,

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Hunt

Quote from: BillC on March 11, 2016, 08:29:07 PM
. . .

I tried to upload pics but no matter how small I make them this system tells me the 'upload buffer is full'.

The Additional Options... Attach:   feature cannot be used.

To post a picture in this forum it has to reside (stored) in an URL registered site. Some people are uploading to their account on Photobucket   http://photobucket.com/

The Photobucket, SHARE THIS PHOTO, Direct link to the image placed between SMF Bulletin Board Code Image Tags is used to post a picture (image) on this forum.

This example is one of Loco Bill's images stored on Photobucket.

To post

Uses

[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh291/sharronbillc/2016%20Basement%20layout%20Update/IMG_0141.jpg[/img]

BillC

Hi Bill,

Thanks for all the advice.  I definitely like the tanker.  Nicely detailed as you say.  I'll be purchasing new trucks for it.

Thanks to Hunt for the description of how to post pics.  I guess I also need to set up a photobucket account so I can post pics in the future.  Currently do not have one of those.

Thanks again, Bill