News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Car

Started by Deland, March 13, 2016, 11:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deland

My wife was in Dallas in Jan and bought a car. We live in NC. So next Sun. I fly to Dallas to pick it up and bring it home. Since I have a sister in Amarillo and one in OKC. I'll be stopping to visit for a couple of days in each city(in laws in McKinney). I'm just wondering if anyone has any shops in those places or close by to visit. Once I leave OKC, I'll be coming East across I 40 so any along that route I may be tempted to stop at also, you know for a road break. I did a search and found a club that has a layout in OKC at Crossroads mall, is it good to check out? I also found the "Whistle Stop" in OKC.

Thanks for any commentary and shops.

jward

east of Nashville, I40 roughly follows the route of the old tenessee central, a fascinating regional line that went bankrupt in the 1960s. I believe there is a tenessee central museum somewhere along this route that may be worth a stop.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Before leaving the Dallas,TX area visit
Discount Model Trains
   4641 Ratliff Ln
   Addison, TX 75001

Hunt

If you are interested in 1:1 scale locomotives and rolling stock, which includes the 4018 Big Boy locomotive
visit
Museum of American Railroad
6465 Page St
Frisco, TX 75035

RAM

Make a stop in El Reno Okla.  Go to the old Rock Island station.  They have some thing of interest to any rail fan.  They also have a street car ride down main street. It is a restored street car with a car motor in it. Now than if you can just forget about the car motor and just enjoy the ride on the hard wooden seats of yesterday.   it has been years since I was at Whistle stop.  It was and I am sure that it still is a nice shop.  If you go there from down town, take 77 hyway.  It will take you by the old Santa Fe yards.  They have 50 to 100 stored locomotive, many still in Santa Fe paint.  What ever you do have a safe trip.

Trainman203

A liittle out of your way but worth it is the Arkansas Railroad Museum in Pine Bluff.

http://arkansasrailroadmuseum.org

Deland

Great info guys. Keep them coming so I can get my route home nailed down. I do have to be back by April 3-4 so I can shower and get ready for the Charlotte Auto Fair but I still have plenty of time to take the "scenic" route home ;)

jbrock27

Don't neglect the Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives portion of your road trip :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Deland

I'm an amateur Foodie. I'll be enjoying B-B-Q Texas style (I've bee in NC 10 years and still can't take the B-B-Q sauce here), give me Tx or KC anytime, Dyers in Amarillo is good but not as good as the parent restaurant in Pampa was.. And Mexican, unfortunately I will not be in SA this trip, but I have a couple of spots in the panhandle of Tx I always hit. I also do a place in Silverton called "Something Different by Kay" my aunt owns it. And I'm hoping "CafĂ© Banoff" is open while I'm in Waynoka OK this time (homestyle German). A high school friend also does a Mexican food truck in NW Ok. "My Cousins Place" is a spot(sports bar) that my sister and I usually make in OKC.
If I manage to eat everywhere I would like to, I'll be eating 5-6 meals a day.Between Food , Train shops and Family, I should have fun. Then within a week after I get back, I'll be leaving for Auto Fair and that's always fun.

jbrock27

Quote from: Deland on March 14, 2016, 09:46:20 PM
I've bee in NC 10 years and still can't take the B-B-Q sauce here

I hear what yer sayin.  I bet you can't find a decent pizza there either, or in South Carolina for that matter. :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Deland - I've been in NC for 21 years this coming June, and I hear ya' on the BBQ sauce. I never could get into the heavy vinegar style NC sauce.
I generally hit a local 'mom & pop' place (and pray every time they don't decide to retire), or a 'Dickey's BBQ Pit', 'Texas Roadhouse', 'Red, White, and Blue' or 'Danny's BBQ' chain place when I need a Southwest style BBQ fix.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

Deland, you sound like a real Okie. 

Trainman203

Deland, since you are going to die young after eating all that stuff, you need to plan who is going to get your model railroad stuff.  :o :D

Deland

Len,  I've done a place here Called "Mac's Speed Shop" and though it's a chain and therefore a bit generic(3-4 stores) it's better than the local everyone raves about. BTW if you're near GSO there's a trainshow at the local club sat.

Ram, Born in Amarillo Tx and spent my childhood/school years between there, Canadian Tx and Waynoka OK. Those are like within 240 miles of one another and both sides of my family are centered in those three places.

Trainman, I eat healthy 6 days a week and both maternal Great grandmothers lived to 100. My paternal grandparents lived to mid 90's. I think I'm just going to hope I don't care when the time comes.

Len

Deland - Thanks for the heads up on the train show. I wish I'd known earlier, as I'm already committed to something else. I could have taken the morning Piedmont to Greensboro and the Carolinian home again. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

The Ma & Pa place here has a sign in front that just says "BBQ" They do Texas & New Mexico style BBQ, with beans in a sauce that would eat holes in an aluminum pot.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.