Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

finger flick switching.

Started by GRZ, March 05, 2016, 05:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: railtwister on March 15, 2016, 10:02:43 AM
Quote from: AGSB on March 06, 2016, 12:48:14 PM
In order for the "finger flick" to work, the switches have to be spring loaded in order for them to stay in the direction they are placed. Peco switches are spring loaded to start with unless the spring has been removed so they operate with switch machines (manual or electric) as are Atlas "Snap Switches". If your switch is not spring loaded, here is a video on how to manufacture a spring to make them so. It is for N scale but should be easily adaptable for HO.
https://youtu.be/9rfZpe1LNjk

These springs are commonly referred to as "over-center" springs, and usually are set up to use the spring's compression to keep the points pressed against the stock rails. I've seen this done using either coil or hairpin type springs (but always with the spring in compression). Recently, I read of someone rigging his own over-center linkage that used rubber bands to provide the spring tension. Sounds like a great idea, but I don't know how he did it, since rubber bands only work in tension, not compression (still trying to figure it out). Anyone else have any ideas?

Bill in FtL

I've used two over centre spring designs in the past for operating my switches.  I use walk around control and the only place I use switch machines is in hidden staging, where the switches are inaccessible during normal operation, the staging yard being in another room.   Neither of the over centre springs required an actual spring nor rubber band, they were made from piano wire.

I'll see if I can find drawings and will most them or, if I can't find drawing, I'll make some sketches and post those.

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Here are the two over centre springs I use.

The one I currently use as provided by Tony Koester: -

And the one taken from an old "Model Railroader" article: -