News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Vanderbilt Tender Won't Run In Reverse

Started by ahoff11, March 16, 2016, 09:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahoff11

I purchased a 89902 vanderbilt tender this week to replace an existing tender that was still working (both forward and reverse).  I just wanted a vanderbilt to replicate a local engine.  So I guess my problem is this new tender once plugged into my 2-8-0 consolidation engine will only run forward and not reverse.  But if I use the old tender it still works forward and reverse.  Anyone know of this problem and/or have any solutions?  Thank you!

rogertra

Quote from: ahoff11 on March 16, 2016, 09:23:39 PM
I purchased a 89902 vanderbilt tender this week to replace an existing tender that was still working (both forward and reverse).  I just wanted a vanderbilt to replicate a local engine.  So I guess my problem is this new tender once plugged into my 2-8-0 consolidation engine will only run forward and not reverse.  But if I use the old tender it still works forward and reverse.  Anyone know of this problem and/or have any solutions?  Thank you!

Whenever you swap tenders you usually need to swap the circuit boards in the tenders as Bachmann, in their wisdom, do not make circuit boards that are always interchangeable.

Cheers

Roger T.

Pacific Northern

The subject of this thread is exactly what I need to remember about the pc boards on the Bachmann Spectrum tenders.

I had completely forgot about the conflict with the Bachmann boards. I find that hard to believe, there was such an outcry of so many discussions on this topic.

Obvious sign of my aging.

Thanks again folks
Pacific Northern

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
I don't believe-and I have a lot of Bachmann equipment; tenders as well-that I have had too much trouble setting up a Bachmann tender for DCC.  Vanderbilt tenders are a little tricky, but not impossible.  I get the impression that convention says to floor-mount the boards.  I have tried different approaches, and have found some that work well, some better than others, but not necessarily floor-mounts.  Those V-bilt tenders took a fair amount of pre-production engineering, and I doubt that Bachmann or any other manufacturer wound intentionally take an indifferent approach to this subject, as such would be the quickest way to cut one's own throat, eh?

Rich C.

Pacific Northern

Roger

Were you not around when there was trouble with the 2-10-0 (Russian) locomotives and their wiring,  They were short circuiting in large numbers.  I had a couple that were quickly replaced, wiring problems between the pc board in the tender and the locomotive.

When the smoke cleared I had two dead Russians and three replacement engines.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 21, 2016, 06:04:06 PM
Roger

Were you not around when there was trouble with the 2-10-0 (Russian) locomotives and their wiring,  They were short circuiting in large numbers.  I had a couple that were quickly replaced, wiring problems between the pc board in the tender and the locomotive.

When the smoke cleared I had two dead Russians and three replacement engines.

====================================

Yes, I recall that.

I have one at the moment where a wire between tender and engine has pulled out on the engine side.  IIRC, this was also an issue but I'll have mine fixed as soon as I have time. 

Meanwhile it's become a Roundhouse Princess as the sound decoder still works but the engine won't move.  :)

Simple fix once I take the engine apart which on the 2-10-0s could sometimes be a challenge.  Great engines, I have three and use them all the time.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

I've got two dead Russians and three live ones too....... Not really completely dead but needing some serious mechanical straightening out.

I hope the decapod gets reissued one day.  It's the Short Line Big Boy. I hope too that the Bach Mann studies eBay periodically and sees which engines are never available  there .......  like the decapod and both ten wheelers.....

the Bach-man

Dear 203,
Remove the bottom plate.
Use tape to cover the PC contact strips.
See if this helps.
Good luck!
the  Bach-mann

ahoff11

When you say bottom plate what exactly do you mean and tape which contact strips?  Thank you

the Bach-man

Dear Ahoff,
The plate in question is between the drivers. Remove it and you will see a printed circuit strip.  This can sometimes short out on the axles, and covering it with tape will solve the issue.
Have fun!
the Bach-man