News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine life

Started by ShadowMonk, March 22, 2016, 02:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowMonk

Hey guys,

Thinking of a dcc layout, and I am wondering how long do these models actually last? I heard by some youtubers that they need to replace their models every couple of years! How long have you had your engines that still work perfectly? Any suggestions to keep them going for as long as possible? Reason I ask is because dcc conversion is super expensive and I didn't want to convert them if the life time isn't too great.

Cheers!

Chaz

That entirely depends on the model. I still have the same Thomas and James models I got from back in 2002 and they still run fairly well with the exception of wheels needing cleaning every now and again.  Other models I have had since the first day I got them and they seem to work just fine. The only models I can recall that I have had to replace were Gordon, Edward, Diesel, and probably at least three times, Toby.  Some people of gotten luckier than others and others not so much. Regardless of how long models last, Bachmann has a lifetime warranty he so regardless of when you purchased your models you can get them replaced with a fee that's as high as $25.  If you have had the model for under six months or a year (can't remember which), replacements are free.

Hope this helps.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Bucksco

It also depends on how you run them and whether you perform routine maintenance on them....

ShadowMonk

Thanks for the info guys :)

As I live in the UK I am to assume that I cant use the lifetime warranty and will have to buy a fresh new model everytime mine stop working, is this right? :(

jward

why not learn how to fix them, or better yet learn how to properly care for them so they don't get to the point where they fail?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

thomasj219

Valid point but things do happen, locomotives break due to other things than neglect and mistreatment. No need to be so negative.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Chaz

Quote from: ShadowMonk on March 23, 2016, 12:15:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys :)

As I live in the UK I am to assume that I cant use the lifetime warranty and will have to buy a fresh new model everytime mine stop working, is this right? :(

I don't see why that would be an issue.  Shipping may cost a little extra on both sides, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that the warranty would be off.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.