News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Thomas

Started by Large Scale Champion, March 23, 2016, 06:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Large Scale Champion

This topic is for the discussion of Large Scale Thomas Only! Please don't hijack chats with petty childish comments/arguements, last time 2 years of hot topic chats were deleted because of a rogue user...

to kick start conversation, a couple of questions

How Large are your collections?
What would you like to see?
Would you purchase buildings if they were made?

Edward or Duck Next & Please give James some coaches to pull he's getting cranky! P.S. Henrietta? Cattle Wagon or Mail Car for the wagons.

Large Scale Champion

the other question...

have many of you customised any Large Scale Thomas?
Edward or Duck Next & Please give James some coaches to pull he's getting cranky! P.S. Henrietta? Cattle Wagon or Mail Car for the wagons.

lgbmarklintrein

Hallo,

I have a Thomas G scale layout
Next week I 'm going to build it in the art gallery for one month

Greatings Eugene Pieterse  Netherlands

JD417

Quote from: Large Scale Champion on March 23, 2016, 06:59:14 AM
the other question...

have many of you customised any Large Scale Thomas?

I've done modifications to every engine, except Toby:

Thomas- I installed lights in the front and rear, painted his smile white, and painted his side rods silver, and his wheel rivets blue.

Percy- Painted his side rods silver, and his wheel rivets green. I also tilted his cylinders to be at an angle, like the early model series, and removed the bit at the end of the slide bars. Also painted the underside of the running board the same colour as the sides, front and back of it.

James- Painted his side rods silver, and his wheels and wheel rivets black.

Emily- Added a Lamp, lamp irons, and a brake pipe to the front of her running board, and a brake pipe at the back of the tender. (These parts are tacked on, and can be removed, or as I like to do; remove the lamp irons, and play around with head codes :P)

UPTODAY

Hi,JD417,we would love to see some photos!!!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

JD417

I don't really feel like cluttering up the fourms by posting pictures, so I have a couple of links to the photos uploaded to my Facebook page (The Facebook page is JD41796, if you want to check it out :P:

Here is how Emily looks:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/11896350_943398675726095_2838686244544452683_o.jpg

Here's James:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/792251_455144681218166_178712093_o.jpg

I don't have any real good ones of Thomas and Percy uploaded to the Facebook page, but I have uploaded a few to my actual Facebook profile:

Here's Thomas:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/11206671_824239220977743_1319905587362647397_o.jpg

And Here's a not-very-good-picture-but-you-get-the-point of Percy:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/10887618_783902165011449_4139779359242854631_o.jpg

lgbmarklintrein

Yesterday the module track , and placed Thomas made ​​his rounds .

greating Eugene  the  Netherlands.

UPTODAY

Thanks everyone!!!!!!those large scale models are stunning!!!!!great pics!!!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Chaz

Seeing as how we have a new large scale thread, I figured I would share my thoughts on the future of the range here.

Honestly, I have been under the impression that the large scale line has been going through a difficult stage in regards to affording a new tooling.  There has been a number of recolors and retoolings in the last couple of years announcements and the last locomotive that we had in the range is Toby (I'm not including Winston since I don't consider him an actual locomotive).  I think that Winston was probably made not just because his small size works really well in large scale, but also because he would be a lot cheaper for Bachmann to produce than an actual locomotive.  If they do any new toolings at this point, I think they would most likely invest in a new tooling that they could use for recolors in the near future, much like how they did with the ice cream wagon this year with three van recolors.  

For the next locomotives I can see them only adding DCC and sound to the rest of their locomotives such as doing James and Emily next year and then do Toby the following year.  For a new character, I think Mavis would make perfect sense as she would not only require the same wheelbase and motor as Toby, but her new body shell also allows for decent conversion possibilities.  In regards to a new tooling then my money is on Diesel at this point since he is not only an iconic character in the current show, but he also has a very simple design that Bachmann could create.  He could also be used for recolors so they can invest in other characters like 'Arry, Bert, or even Paxton.  However, if you were to ask which locomotive(s) I would like to see personally, then I think Edward and/or Mavis would be pretty decent candidates.  Edward's had high demand for a long time and is also a decent size despite being a tender engine and Mavis would work for the reasons I explained above.  Either way, I imagine a diesel engine is more likely in large scale at this point.

Rolling stock wise, my money is on the red coaches since they are recolors of Annie and Clarabel with some modifications.  New tooling wise, my money is on the mail car since it seems to be a reasonably sized tooling Bachmann could work with.  They could also go for recolor possibilities just like how the HO model did in recent years.  However, if Bachmann wanted to listen to fans more carefully then I would like to see Henrietta next.  In my opinion, there is no reason for Henrietta to not be included in the range already, even though new toolings are expensive I think this one is actually worth the investment, regardless of lack of recolor value.  Toby is still a popular seller and it only makes perfect sense to include her in the range as she would have equally strong sales.  Perhaps maybe include her once they add DCC/sound to their Toby model?  Regardless if they do or don't, I feel Henrietta is long overdue in the range, moreso than a new locomotive.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

E2 Billington

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.  Anyways,  I recently managed to get a G scale Thomas, Annie, Clarabel, an oval of track, and a controller for $50.  Does anyone know where I can get tar cars for that cheap?
Regards,
Paul H Hoff

Chaz

The cheapest I know of is Wholesale Trains:

https://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200864016

I would recomend calling/emailing them first before ordering as I ordered something from there not that long ago and they called in telling me that they weren't available despite their website saying they had them in stock. 

E2 Billington

Thanks Chaz, do you know where I can get track that cheap?
Regards,
Paul H Hoff

Chaz

I think it's worth browsing around there or their other store Lantz's Hobby shop.  They are a great business and sell HO and large scale equipment for reasonable prices.   Easily my favorite place to order models. :)

Large Scale Champion

Fantastic layout "lgbmarklintrein", some good adaptions from others... but has anyone really built something new from scratch?

lgbmarklintrein

Hello large scale Champion,

It's been a family project the rear walls are painted by my wife and daughter Anja Cindy, the building I myself built, including the engine shed and the signal box. The releief homes purchased in England in Model Town.

Greating Eugene LGBmarklintrein