News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Thomas

Started by Large Scale Champion, March 23, 2016, 06:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on September 03, 2019, 02:36:08 PM
From what I have seen, the unfortunate reality with Large Scale is that there are not enough people interested in the line. Thus, to be frank, I think that the only way announcing new large scale products that would consist of any sort of new tooling like Mavis and the Red Branch line Coaches would benefit Bachmann is simply if there are more people stating that they want to see them made. This not only goes for the Bachmann Forum, but other branches of social media as well.

Even in HO Scale, I would personally love to see more resin buildings made, but I decided to not include them in my February 2020 list because I know that they have not done great with sales in the past.

Nevertheless, to be fair to all Bachmann Thomas fans, I think that the Large Scale line should have something new announced in February 2020. That's why I suggested an LBSC Green Thomas and Troublesome Van. Neither would require any sort of new tooling, so I could see those as possible candidates.

Demand is a very valid point to bring up. No product can be made for a single person, after all.

Requests for new toolings haven't been super common in recent months following Toy Fair 2019, but Mavis and the Red Coaches are still the more oft mentioned options for a new tooling (at least as far as I can tell). Interest in Large Scale is still present, but it just has a relatively smaller audience than other lines. Since it has been so many years without an enticing announcement and concern for its future has been expressed on recent occasions, it wouldn't hurt for Bachmann to lend the line even a little bit of respect when February 2020 comes.

Quote from: thomas fan on September 03, 2019, 04:30:57 PM
All I would won't from the large scale would be the branch line coaches and Henrietta and it's sad to see that not many people care about the large scale.

Would discussing Large Scale with others outside the forum help? It can give an idea or two on how interested people are in the range and if they want any new products for it.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

JLK2707

A bachmann large scale Henrietta is just long overdue!

Sodor Engineer

Ya that's more then likely right.(but I still wish that was Bachmann make her)
I like Stepney and would love to see him in ho scale.

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Falcon the 2nd on September 03, 2019, 07:47:58 PM
Demand is a very valid point to bring up. No product can be made for a single person, after all.

Requests for new toolings haven't been super common in recent months following Toy Fair 2019, but Mavis and the Red Coaches are still the more oft mentioned options for a new tooling (at least as far as I can tell). Interest in Large Scale is still present, but it just has a relatively smaller audience than other lines. Since it has been so many years without an enticing announcement and concern for its future has been expressed on recent occasions, it wouldn't hurt for Bachmann to lend the line even a little bit of respect when February 2020 comes.

Oh absolutely! Don't get me wrong. I definitely think that the large scale line should have something descent announced for February 2020 to be fair to all Bachmann Thomas fans. Yet, I'm also wondering how much making certain products like Mavis and the Red Coaches would benefit Bachmann, considering that they would require massive new toolings for the body shells, and as you said, the large scale audience is smaller than the HO and Narrow Gauge lines.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

A few things I want to throw out there.

The first is that the red coaches are not really "new toolings".  They are the same tooling as Annie and Clarabel and Emily's coaches, with the appropriate modifications, specifically the brake compartment for the brake coach and the new roofs on each coach.  The only possible reason why I don't think we have seen them in the range yet is maybe Bachmann would rather go the safer full recolor route without making any adjustments like they did with Emily's coaches?  Either way, it's a real missed opportunity considering how well the HO models sold.

I personally don't have much, if any hope for the large scale range to not make anymore engines anytime soon, considering Toby was the last engine to get released.  The large scale market itself is pretty weak overall, but I feel that the bigger issue comes down to how drastic the price increase has been as of late, especially with Mattel sabotaging the market.  Diesel probably got cancelled because of pricing, since he has a lot of details and a chassis that would take a lot of time and money for Bachmann to put together.  Mavis would have been the safer choice overall if she was considered before Diesel simply due to the fact that the motor and chassis from the Toby model and her bodyshell would be a lot easier to make overall compared to Diesel.  If they ever do an engine again anytime soon, I still think Mavis is their safest option overall before giving Diesel another shot, but I'm thinking we will probably see more DCC/sound engines before any new characters come in the range, possibly even bluetooth?

Either way, it is pretty sad to see the large scale range where it is today in terms of new product announcements.  The range was a huge hit when it first came out, and it really got people excited for large scale trains, certainly far more than Lionel did with their short-lived Thomas range.  It's kind of amazing seeing the large scale range go as far as they did.  All five of the engines they did make were all very solid and popular sellers and I feel that's gotta be saying something with how much of an impact I feel the range has made in the hobby of G scale trains as a whole. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Falcon the 2nd

Seems the 'new' categorization with the Red Coaches may be a common misconception. Still, bringing them in wouldn't be a huge hassle since Annie and Clarabel have been around for ten years.

Prices can really hurt from both a manufacturer and consumer perspective, and engines can play a big part in it. Comparing the typical retail prices of Toby's HO Scale model ($60-$70) with his Large Scale model (around $200) makes it clear which scale would end up more successful among casual customers. Diesel wouldn't have made the situation any better with his complex manufacturing setup and big probability of an insurmountable price.

All things considered, things have felt grim with Large Scale for quite some time and its future could use some acknowledgement soon. I'm not so sure about Mavis being announced within the next year, even if she is commonly seen as the best option for a new engine, but the Red Coaches would work as an announcement for February 2020. LBSC Thomas can serve as a backup idea if recoloring an engine is more financially sufficient. Perhaps if either option is announced and ends up earning some welcoming reception, Mavis may be announced someday, but only time will tell in the end.
Wishlists:

Chaz

Quote from: Falcon the 2nd on September 05, 2019, 09:55:36 PM
Prices can really hurt from both a manufacturer and consumer perspective, and engines can play a big part in it. Comparing the typical retail prices of Toby's HO Scale model ($60-$70) with his Large Scale model (around $200) makes it clear which scale would end up more successful among casual customers. Diesel wouldn't have made the situation any better with his complex manufacturing setup and big probability of an insurmountable price.

I definitely agree with you there.  I think casual consumers (like parents with kids) usually find themselves getting one of the train sets and -maybe- another engine and some additional rolling stock at the very most.  I can't imagine too many people going out of their way to buy all five engines (besides the collectors/serious modelers) especially when the HO models are not only cheaper but also a lot smaller and take up less space.  I'm sure that also played a factor in the ranges decline.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

JLK2707

Good point there. But I do think that large scale orange branch line coaches would just benefit older fans! ;)

Large Scale Champion

At Last!
More Large Scale Engines on the way...

So Diesel we came more excited about as time went on last time it was announced but by the time it was cancelled we were mortified!
So welcome back Diesel!

Ruby's Railway has really bedded in well now and we have many custom coaches in the works.
Have to say the want list for the future doesn't change much

Engines:
Duck
Edward

Coaches
Red Coaches
Henrietta

Wagons
Toad
Troublesome Van

Keen to know others thoughts...
Edward or Duck Next & Please give James some coaches to pull he's getting cranky! P.S. Henrietta? Cattle Wagon or Mail Car for the wagons.

Falcon the 2nd

I guess resurfacing the old Large Scale thread is less a hassle than making a new one.

Diesel's return most definitely sparks up a whole lot of possibility for new products. My picks for a long-term wishlist is mainly similar to other users', though I think some reasoning for choices would be necessary to share.

ENGINES:
Mavis - Personally, I think this is the best new character to announce after the Bachmann team is through with Diesel's production cycle. She is an iconic classic character and serves as a possibly cost-effective option (I.E. Toby's chassis). She also happened to appear in one of Strasburg's Day Out With Thomas events for the first time last fall, so she continues to hold some relevance despite her ongoing absence in the show.
Edward - Another beloved longtimer and one that can hold in high value among fans if he were made. Since he and James are somewhat similar in structure, I also see Edward as a solid option for a new character in the near future.
Oliver - I've often been torn between him and Duck given the choice of just one, but Oliver comes out in my favor. He is smaller in size, complementary to the existing S.C. Ruffey and would become an option if Toad is announced. Duck would also be welcomed if he comes first, but Oliver is just a bit more ideal to me.
Glynn - This one's a bit of a long shot, but I'm still including it as I like the character. I think his shape feels more suited to Large Scale than HO and he would also probably sell better than Winston. The only piece of merchandise Glynn has so far is Trackmaster, so he could use something new by now.
Paxton - An obvious choice after Diesel. Hopefully, they can pay closer attention to his facial proportions if he is considered.

ROLLING STOCK:
Red Coaches
- Perhaps the best options for new pieces of rolling stock. They sold rather well in HO Scale and they're similar in shape to Annie and Clarabel, meaning they could be cheap to produce.
Henrietta - Toby's been without his signature coach in the line for a long time. It'd be safe to assume that if she is announced, they would incorporate her new face.
Troublesome Van - A frequent suggestion among fans. Though I can't say too much about this option, I'd certainly respect it as a new product.
Toad - As said earlier, announcing Toad would make Oliver a possible engine. He would also serve a good second option for a brake van character after Spiteful Brakevan.
Mail Van - Another long shot. Percy could use a special change of freight at some point! :P

A new starter set is also necessary, either a reintroduction of the currently discontinued Thomas, Annie and Clarabel set or a new one with Toby and Henrietta. I can't say for sure if a James starter set would be a good idea.
Wishlists:

Large Scale Champion

It's nice that we can finally discuss Large Scale Thomas in a positive way, all fingers crossed that Diesel is up to scratch given the price concerns.

Falcon the 2nd I'd love us to have Mail Vans they fit in well with where i think Bachmann would do well with this range and thats producing engines that can offer British outline stock that can be recoloured by the adult market as a second interest/revenue stream.

Which is why i think Duck, Toad and Oliver would be good shouts. If you chucked in Henrietta you could do a recolouring of the 14xx Titfield Thunderbolt Stock for instance the possibilities are amazing.
Edward or Duck Next & Please give James some coaches to pull he's getting cranky! P.S. Henrietta? Cattle Wagon or Mail Car for the wagons.

Large Scale Champion

So how many of us actually collect Large Scale Thomas and what size is your collection?

Toad139

Quote from: Large Scale Champion on March 03, 2020, 10:34:01 AM
So how many of us actually collect Large Scale Thomas and what size is your collection?

I have just gotten in to the large scale range. My collection is quite small as of now, I originally bought the Percy Set to go around my Christmas Tree, but it really grew on me, and I have since purchased some more rolling stock. I don't plan on growing a massive collection, but Diesel has definitely peaked my interest.

Large Scale Champion

Welcome Toad139,
Ruby's Railway is a garden railway with two loops going around a pond, incorporating over bridges and a tunnel.
We have the entire collection with multiples of several items, 5 coal wagons and 4 Tar for instance, we've got some custom recolours like the brakevan as it's a personal pet hate that they were absent from sets and the show. We have 4 thomas' for spare parts etc.
We have a spare Annie & Clarabel and Emily's coaches in the hope to make some customs.
Can't wait to finally have another loco!
The Custom we are most looking forward to doing is Percy from the Ghost Train.

Large Scale Champion

I'm really surprised that traffic on this sites discussion seems to have dropped during lockdown not increased, what that about 😢?

We are utilising the time with electrical upgrades and additional planting and pruning.

We may commission a custom or two