STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2019, 09:24:07 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Large Scale Thomas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Large Scale Thomas  (Read 50336 times)
Falcon the 2nd

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »

From what I have seen, the unfortunate reality with Large Scale is that there are not enough people interested in the line. Thus, to be frank, I think that the only way announcing new large scale products that would consist of any sort of new tooling like Mavis and the Red Branch line Coaches would benefit Bachmann is simply if there are more people stating that they want to see them made. This not only goes for the Bachmann Forum, but other branches of social media as well.

Even in HO Scale, I would personally love to see more resin buildings made, but I decided to not include them in my February 2020 list because I know that they have not done great with sales in the past.

Nevertheless, to be fair to all Bachmann Thomas fans, I think that the Large Scale line should have something new announced in February 2020. That's why I suggested an LBSC Green Thomas and Troublesome Van. Neither would require any sort of new tooling, so I could see those as possible candidates.

Demand is a very valid point to bring up. No product can be made for a single person, after all.

Requests for new toolings haven't been super common in recent months following Toy Fair 2019, but Mavis and the Red Coaches are still the more oft mentioned options for a new tooling (at least as far as I can tell). Interest in Large Scale is still present, but it just has a relatively smaller audience than other lines. Since it has been so many years without an enticing announcement and concern for its future has been expressed on recent occasions, it wouldn't hurt for Bachmann to lend the line even a little bit of respect when February 2020 comes.

All I would won't from the large scale would be the branch line coaches and Henrietta and it's sad to see that not many people care about the large scale.

Would discussing Large Scale with others outside the forum help? It can give an idea or two on how interested people are in the range and if they want any new products for it.

Hopeful for HO Scale Stepney
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2019, 05:10:08 AM »

A bachmann large scale Henrietta is just long overdue!
the track master

AKA:Thomas fan,the one and only

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2019, 07:45:50 AM »

Ya that's more then likely right.(but I still wish that was Bachmann make her)

I like Stepney and would love to see him in ho scale.
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2019, 02:24:56 PM »

Demand is a very valid point to bring up. No product can be made for a single person, after all.

Requests for new toolings haven't been super common in recent months following Toy Fair 2019, but Mavis and the Red Coaches are still the more oft mentioned options for a new tooling (at least as far as I can tell). Interest in Large Scale is still present, but it just has a relatively smaller audience than other lines. Since it has been so many years without an enticing announcement and concern for its future has been expressed on recent occasions, it wouldn't hurt for Bachmann to lend the line even a little bit of respect when February 2020 comes.

Oh absolutely! Don't get me wrong. I definitely think that the large scale line should have something descent announced for February 2020 to be fair to all Bachmann Thomas fans. Yet, I'm also wondering how much making certain products like Mavis and the Red Coaches would benefit Bachmann, considering that they would require massive new toolings for the body shells, and as you said, the large scale audience is smaller than the HO and Narrow Gauge lines.

Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2019, 05:00:26 PM »

A few things I want to throw out there.

The first is that the red coaches are not really "new toolings".  They are the same tooling as Annie and Clarabel and Emily's coaches, with the appropriate modifications, specifically the brake compartment for the brake coach and the new roofs on each coach.  The only possible reason why I don't think we have seen them in the range yet is maybe Bachmann would rather go the safer full recolor route without making any adjustments like they did with Emily's coaches?  Either way, it's a real missed opportunity considering how well the HO models sold.

I personally don't have much, if any hope for the large scale range to not make anymore engines anytime soon, considering Toby was the last engine to get released.  The large scale market itself is pretty weak overall, but I feel that the bigger issue comes down to how drastic the price increase has been as of late, especially with Mattel sabotaging the market.  Diesel probably got cancelled because of pricing, since he has a lot of details and a chassis that would take a lot of time and money for Bachmann to put together.  Mavis would have been the safer choice overall if she was considered before Diesel simply due to the fact that the motor and chassis from the Toby model and her bodyshell would be a lot easier to make overall compared to Diesel.  If they ever do an engine again anytime soon, I still think Mavis is their safest option overall before giving Diesel another shot, but I'm thinking we will probably see more DCC/sound engines before any new characters come in the range, possibly even bluetooth?

Either way, it is pretty sad to see the large scale range where it is today in terms of new product announcements.  The range was a huge hit when it first came out, and it really got people excited for large scale trains, certainly far more than Lionel did with their short-lived Thomas range.  It's kind of amazing seeing the large scale range go as far as they did.  All five of the engines they did make were all very solid and popular sellers and I feel that's gotta be saying something with how much of an impact I feel the range has made in the hobby of G scale trains as a whole. 
Falcon the 2nd

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2019, 09:55:36 PM »

Seems the 'new' categorization with the Red Coaches may be a common misconception. Still, bringing them in wouldn't be a huge hassle since Annie and Clarabel have been around for ten years.

Prices can really hurt from both a manufacturer and consumer perspective, and engines can play a big part in it. Comparing the typical retail prices of Toby's HO Scale model ($60-$70) with his Large Scale model (around $200) makes it clear which scale would end up more successful among casual customers. Diesel wouldn't have made the situation any better with his complex manufacturing setup and big probability of an insurmountable price.

All things considered, things have felt grim with Large Scale for quite some time and its future could use some acknowledgement soon. I'm not so sure about Mavis being announced within the next year, even if she is commonly seen as the best option for a new engine, but the Red Coaches would work as an announcement for February 2020. LBSC Thomas can serve as a backup idea if recoloring an engine is more financially sufficient. Perhaps if either option is announced and ends up earning some welcoming reception, Mavis may be announced someday, but only time will tell in the end.

Hopeful for HO Scale Stepney
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2019, 10:28:36 PM »

Prices can really hurt from both a manufacturer and consumer perspective, and engines can play a big part in it. Comparing the typical retail prices of Toby's HO Scale model ($60-$70) with his Large Scale model (around $200) makes it clear which scale would end up more successful among casual customers. Diesel wouldn't have made the situation any better with his complex manufacturing setup and big probability of an insurmountable price.

I definitely agree with you there.  I think casual consumers (like parents with kids) usually find themselves getting one of the train sets and -maybe- another engine and some additional rolling stock at the very most.  I canít imagine too many people going out of their way to buy all five engines (besides the collectors/serious modelers) especially when the HO models are not only cheaper but also a lot smaller and take up less space.  Iím sure that also played a factor in the ranges decline.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »

Good point there. But I do think that large scale orange branch line coaches would just benefit older fans! Wink
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: