STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 02:41:58 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Large Scale Thomas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Large Scale Thomas  (Read 34286 times)
Rodimus Supreme

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »

It might not work with it being a slightly different gauge, but I happen to know that Marklin makes a Gauge 1 BR 78, the locomotive that, from what Iíve heard, is the type of Locomotive used to make Gordon and Henry in the show, specifically, their chassis. Gauge 1 is close to G Scale, but I donít know if itís close enough to be compatible, like HO Scale and OO Scale are.

G scale would be 1:24 scale and Gauge 1 (or #1 scale) is 1:32 scale which would be smaller than G.  The Bachmann Thomas & Friends models themselves are actually 1:22.5 scale which is in between both scales.  As I don't own too many Gauge 1 models, I can't really give you the best comparison out there, but I can hopefully show you somewhat of the difference between the two scales.  First up, here's Percy next to my Bachmann Gauge 1 speeder.  Winston would probably have been better to compare if I had him, but I choose not to waste my hard earned money on something so mediocre.

Next is James next to an Aristo-Craft Gauge 1 hopper car.  Keep in mind that a James should be pretty much in scale with the hopper if the model (James) were in fact Gauge 1.

As I said before, I can't really give you a picture perfect comparison as I don't have many Gauge 1 models.  I myself am looking to make 1 or 2 additional Thomas & Friends characters for my large scale collection in the future.  I did at first plan on building them in Gauge 1, but later decided to build them in 1:22.5 scale so they would be in scale with my other Thomas & Friends models.

By the way, anyone out there interested in a Bachmann Large Scale Thomas and/or Percy?

-Rusty
Yeah, I had read before that Gauge 1 is smaller than G Scale, but HO Scale is also smaller than OO Scale, yet both are generally compatible. So I wasn't sure if Gauge 1 and G Scale were compatible or not. If I remember correctly, HO and OO use the same voltage, right? So if the track diameter and voltage is the same between the two, they could be compatible?
Large Scale Champion

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »

What country are you in?
I'm interested in Thomas & Percy

Edward or Duck Next & Please give James some coaches to pull he's getting cranky! P.S. Henrietta? Cattle Wagon or Mail Car for the wagons.
thomasgleek444

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »

and speaking of customs, i know just above i was talking about a custom Henry and Gordon
while right now im trying to see if the base of a aristocraft pacific would be the right size for the drive wheels.
after that i would replace the other trailing wheels with some spare james trailing wheels, and then build a body on top. and scratch build the tender completely
It might not work with it being a slightly different gauge, but I happen to know that Marklin makes a Gauge 1 BR 78, the locomotive that, from what Iíve heard, is the type of Locomotive used to make Gordon and Henry in the show, specifically, their chassis. Gauge 1 is close to G Scale, but I donít know if itís close enough to be compatible, like HO Scale and OO Scale are.
yes but the marklin one would still be to small, and im not spending $3000 on an engine just to use the base and scrap most the rest, and then have it not measure up to the other bachmann models, i heard from someone on facebook that an aristocraft pacific would be the biggest drive wheels on a train i could find, but i just dont know.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2018, 08:40:24 PM »

Quick question I always had for large scale modelers.  Have any of you guys considered making your own custom engines and rolling stock?  I haven't really seen too many custom projects aside from one or two things from Plow Bender.  I've always imagined in some cases you would have to make the bodies from scratch, like Mavis and using the motor and chassis from Toby but I've never seen it done before.
thomasgleek444

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2018, 01:06:44 AM »

Quick question I always had for large scale modelers.  Have any of you guys considered making your own custom engines and rolling stock?  I haven't really seen too many custom projects aside from one or two things from Plow Bender.  I've always imagined in some cases you would have to make the bodies from scratch, like Mavis and using the motor and chassis from Toby but I've never seen it done before.
Right now I'm trying to SLOWLY work on a Gordon model to fit the same size as all the others. I got an engine and I'm going to build a body for it, and the tender from scratch.
Large Scale Champion

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »

Its been fair disappointment here on Ruby's railway since the cancellation of Diesel, we keep are fingers crossed for 2019 as it will probably be the last for interest in Thomas at 9 years old but we'll run as long as possibly, we have the whole collection, some in multiple and a custom brake. However attention is shifting towards the live steam purchased whilst we wait...

Edward or Duck Next & Please give James some coaches to pull he's getting cranky! P.S. Henrietta? Cattle Wagon or Mail Car for the wagons.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: