Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Thomas

Started by Large Scale Champion, March 23, 2016, 06:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: Large Scale Champion on February 15, 2019, 10:24:45 AM
2019 Just absolutely gutted!

It's pretty disappointing to find out that this year isn't the year for Large Scale, but since emphasis is currently being put in introducing a new line (N Scale), it's understandable why there are sadly no new announcements.

At least we have more time to catch up on certain products we've been missing out on, as well as working on custom models. It never hurts to make a mock-up of a particular product idea with the right time and resources. That being said, I wish Plow Blender the best of luck if he decides on making a Mavis model. Since rolling stock customs have proven to be excellent, I'd be down for seeing a custom Mavis made someday! ;)
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Large Scale Champion on February 15, 2019, 10:24:45 AM
2019 Just absolutely gutted!

Yes announcements this year were more than disappointing, but at the same time I'm in no way surprised that Large Scale has yet again got the short end of the stick.  Quite frankly I think its safe to say that the range has finally reached the end of the line.  At this point, I will say I see the range continuing on with what it has now, but I don't see any new items (especially engine characters) getting announced in the future.  At the least I would have liked to see the rest of Bachmann's models with DCC Sound factory installed, but it looks like I'll be doing that myself now...  :P

The issue I've seen with Large Scale is that the range is so limited on what it can do right now, but I honestly feel like what simple additions that could be added to the range are not even being considered.  A troublesome truck only requires a new face tooling, red coaches only require altering the existing Annie/Clarabel coaches, and even something like an LBSC Thomas only requires a change of paint.  Even adding DCC Sound to James, Emily, and Toby (or even just 1 of them for 2019) would have been simple as the models and sound module are already there.

Like I've mentioned in the past, model railroading is sadly becoming a dying hobby as it is a niche market, and Large Scale is a niche of the overall hobby.  The cost of everything keeps going up, and its gotten to the point where either the company can't afford to produce said models, or the customer can't afford said models.  Bachmann's Spectrum line died years ago due to the high cost and minimal sales, and while I can say that the quality of the models was well worth the price, many people just don't see it that way.  I made a post on this topic a while back, and I'll leave a link if you wish to check it out.  Well worth the read.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34581.msg254706.html#msg254706
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34581.msg254761.html#msg254761

So from what I've seen recently, it's pretty clear that many people are cheesed off with the lack of Large Scale (and even Narrow Gauge) announcements this year, and quite honestly I don't blame them.  As for me, I'll be getting Toby, adding DCC sound to him, James, and Emily, snatching up the Spiteful Brakevan and the GW Van, and calling it quits there.  After Diesel's cancelation, 3 mediocre tanker recolors, and no new 2019 Large Scale announcements, I don't see the future of the range getting any better...

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TerencetheTractor525

It certainly is a shame that the Large Scale Thomas line has come to this. I've actually heard from a few other Thomas fans that Bachmann is not going to make anymore products for the line because there are not enough people interested (specifically in the United States), although I'm not 100% sure if this is true. Perhaps one of the Bachmann reps can let us know what is going on.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

mulfred-100

It's a shame how this has gone for large scale. It was a very nice range and I've recently been fortunate enough to begin investing in products. I do wonder if bachmann sadly not investing in new tooling has sort of put the large scale range in this position. Had more unique items been made would the range be in this hole? I think the catalogue will help clear things up in terms of what if anything has been discontinued. Which is another point so many items has been brought out (mostly tankers and trucks) which have been discontinued I.e. coal car. I do think the range is sort of safe for 2019 as there is still those tankers to be released which why would bachmann make them if they were planning on discontinuing the range. I think it will just either remain this way for a few more years or we will slowly begin to see items cut. Bachmann might keep the basics around for a while.

Chaz

The large scale range is not being discontinued.  People on Facebook/Twitter has been making that rumor up for the last couple of months but never provided solid evidence to back it up.  Once the catalog gets posted, which should hopefully be this week, we will likely see the same products in the range as before plus the new tankers.  Until the catalog is posted, just ignore people who are saying that.

Don't feed the troll.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

mulfred-100

Quote from: Chaz on February 18, 2019, 04:02:29 PM
The large scale range is not being discontinued.  People on Facebook/Twitter has been making that rumor up for the last couple of months but never provided solid evidence to back it up.  Once the catalog gets posted, which should hopefully be this week, we will likely see the same products in the range as before plus the new tankers.  Until the catalog is posted, just ignore people who are saying that.

Don't feed the troll.
Voice of reason right here fokes

Falcon the 2nd

I generally don't believe in rumors relating to any of Bachmann's lineups and I'm hoping the catalogue will give us a good idea on what the status of Large Scale currently is.

Random question: has anyone tried fitting Percy's body on Thomas' chassis? I'd like to know if the chassis can run well with Percy's running board fitted, or if they are even compatible at all, in case I decide on making a custom engine with them.
Wishlists:

Anthony P2

Quote from: Chaz on February 18, 2019, 04:02:29 PM
The large scale range is not being discontinued.  People on Facebook/Twitter has been making that rumor up for the last couple of months but never provided solid evidence to back it up.  Once the catalog gets posted, which should hopefully be this week, we will likely see the same products in the range as before plus the new tankers.  Until the catalog is posted, just ignore people who are saying that.

Don't feed the troll.

This ^^^
Plus, as I've said recently before, for Bachmann to discontinue the line all together, they would take a big hit. They would have to make up the lost sales somehow. Now one would say "Well, Tony, that's what the N scale line will do". No. The n scale line will come no where near making as much as the Large scale line does. Bachmann would have to produce and sell a heck of a lot of merchendise to match the sales of the large scale line.
Also, when does the catalogue even come out?

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: Anthony P2 on February 19, 2019, 09:02:14 PM
Also, when does the catalogue even come out?

Someone said in a separate board that they contacted Bachmann and it should be up by the end of the week.
Wishlists:

Large Scale Champion

So does anyone hold out hope for the Large Scale ever growing?
many threads have had the Bachmann hand of God reach down and give hope to their wishes, i just wish they'd give us such hope.
Specifics are not needed but just a hint that anything is in the works would be good.

Meanwhile as ever we are hopeful and here's a list of our 2020 list.

Loco: Any
Coaches: Red Coaches
Wagons: Troublesome Van
Figures and Buildings Please
Edward or Duck Next & Please give James some coaches to pull he's getting cranky! P.S. Henrietta? Cattle Wagon or Mail Car for the wagons.

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: Large Scale Champion on September 03, 2019, 08:05:17 AM
So does anyone hold out hope for the Large Scale ever growing?
many threads have had the Bachmann hand of God reach down and give hope to their wishes, i just wish they'd give us such hope.
Specifics are not needed but just a hint that anything is in the works would be good.

Meanwhile as ever we are hopeful and here's a list of our 2020 list.

Loco: Any
Coaches: Red Coaches
Wagons: Troublesome Van
Figures and Buildings Please

I mentioned the iffy possibility of Mavis being announced in the 2020 thread. She seems to be the best choice for an entirely new character with her simultaneous iconic nature and small size, as well as Toby's chassis being reusable. More people have been asking for LBSC Thomas within the same thread, which is a reasonable option and one I'm totally fine with. Both options work for having a new engine at all and both could potentially be cheaper to manufacture than the cancelled Diesel.

Though unlikely, a brand new engine like Mavis could be a big shot of redemption for Large Scale after years worth of disappointment. Fan expectations have been defied with this summer's NMRA announcements, so anything can happen with this line in 2020. Mavis is my personal biggest hope, but I'll also accept ideas from others or announcements that are to come. ;)
Wishlists:

Chaz

I honestly would have thought Mavis would have had a better shot than Diesel because of her motor and chassis being easy access for Bachmann from their Toby model.  Plus there is plenty of conversion possibilities for her and she would be a lot easier to make than Diesel, probably cheaper to make too.  If anything, Mavis would have been the safer all around option.  Announcing her with the red coaches would make an all around solid lineup of announcements if you ask me and wouldn't take a lot of effort on Bachmann's end either.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: Chaz on September 03, 2019, 01:03:39 PM
I honestly would have thought Mavis would have had a better shot than Diesel because of her motor and chassis being easy access for Bachmann from their Toby model.  Plus there is plenty of conversion possibilities for her and she would be a lot easier to make than Diesel, probably cheaper to make too.  If anything, Mavis would have been the safer all around option.  Announcing her with the red coaches would make an all around solid lineup of announcements if you ask me and wouldn't take a lot of effort on Bachmann's end either.

Certainly true. Perhaps the best way to approach brand new models for the Large Scale range is picking options with a mainly similar body/basis of an existing engine/coach. Mavis and the Red Coaches would work rather well in that regard.
Wishlists:

TerencetheTractor525

From what I have seen, the unfortunate reality with Large Scale is that there are not enough people interested in the line. Thus, to be frank, I think that the only way announcing new large scale products that would consist of any sort of new tooling like Mavis and the Red Branch line Coaches would benefit Bachmann is simply if there are more people stating that they want to see them made. This not only goes for the Bachmann Forum, but other branches of social media as well.

Even in HO Scale, I would personally love to see more resin buildings made, but I decided to not include them in my February 2020 list because I know that they have not done great with sales in the past.

Nevertheless, to be fair to all Bachmann Thomas fans, I think that the Large Scale line should have something new announced in February 2020. That's why I suggested an LBSC Green Thomas and Troublesome Van. Neither would require any sort of new tooling, so I could see those as possible candidates.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Sodor Engineer

All I would won't from the large scale would be the branch line coaches and Henrietta and it's sad to see that not many people care about the large scale.
I like Stepney and would love to see him in ho scale.