STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2021, 08:51:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Large Scale Thomas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print
Author Topic: Large Scale Thomas  (Read 81699 times)
thomasj219

Thomas Will Be Coming Down Our Track Forever!!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2020, 08:09:36 PM »

Anyone have a spare 6 Thousand??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254725016554

All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.
jbray

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2021, 04:16:28 PM »

Bachmann,
With your switch to the plug and play model for Large scale, why aren't the new models, Diesel and Paxton, set up for this? If you're going to discontinue to the DCC Thomas line, at least don't hobble new releases by keeping them stuck in DC only (without warranty-voiding after market customization). The choose you own power style is a good company choice given the ways large scale hobbyists are diverging on the topic but it should be applied across the large scale line as much as possible.
Caver Keith

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »

Does anyone know what has happened to Diesel and Paxton?
They seem to have been removed from the motive power section of the Bachmann website.
Metal

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2021, 04:30:16 PM »

This might be a wildcard like Winston. But I was thinking, one character that I believe would work well in LS rather than HO/OO scale.

Stephen

While I don't think "Stephen the Rocket" would have that wide-appeal as a Thomas charater for the HO/OO market in contrast to his real life counterpart, much like Flying Scotsman. Bachmann would have a better advantage in their LS Range for Stephen the character. Seeing how the LS market in general aims for more quirky designs for family projects, children model rail events, etc. He would also serve as a very easy kitbash for LS modellers that want to convert into the real thing.

Hornby's OO Rocket

Given that Stephenson's Rocket is one of the most popular locomotives in the general world of modelling. When Hornby brought back their OO/HO Stephenson's Rocket after a couple decades, it quickly sold out on pre-order, and they still release their model due to it's demand.

I think Stephen is one of those characters Bachmann should consider for their Large Scale Range.

What do you think about a Large Scale Stephen?
jbray

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2021, 12:24:32 PM »

This might be a wildcard like Winston. But I was thinking, one character that I believe would work well in LS rather than HO/OO scale.

Stephen

What do you think about a Large Scale Stephen?

I think that Stephen is unlikely because Bachmann shot themselves in the foot with the 1:22.5 scale for the range. The models are Gauge II (III for you Brits) but the wheel base is Gauge I. It makes the line top heavy but also makes models like Stephen an issue because his wheels are outside of his frame meaning they would have to make him specifically 1:32 scale which would make him more out of place in the line. If they hadnít gone the 1:22.5 route I could see the possibility. That said:

Given that Stephenson's Rocket is one of the most popular locomotives in the general world of modelling. When Hornby brought back their OO/HO Stephenson's Rocket after a couple decades, it quickly sold out on pre-order, and they still release their model due to it's demand.

I think this ignores a reality of the finances in that the line has to be more global than that. The market is more than just the UK and plenty of modelers in the North American market donít know or donít care enough about Stephensonís Rocket. The average modeler, in all scales, is bound to be working with a local, regional, or national line in mind. I would argue that from millennials on North Americans really only have exposure to the prototypes from Great Britain thanks to Thomas (and then Harry Potter). We canít even get Hornby here without importing from a UK local retailer because the market is too niche. I think itís true to say that the large scale line is propped up by the UK market and without it the line would be gone, but itís equally true to say that the line is dependent on continued US sales in which this may be a product that only has value amongst the wealthiest of modelers buying for their children and not for the larger NA LS market. Which brings me to:

Seeing how the LS market in general aims for more quirky designs for family projects, children model rail events, etc. He would also serve as a very easy kitbash for LS modellers that want to convert into the real thing.

Youíre not the first person to peddle this idea but I donít understand it and I feel like maybe Iím missing something by being stateside but from my perspective the LS line isnít quirky at all. Is it because of the exploding boxcar? Thatís a remix of a very popular LGB item from their toy train line in the late 90s and Bachmann would have been stupid not to make an equivalent for their Thomas line, especially while LGB and then Marklin in ownership of LGB were facing financial troubles and were limiting their product lines to threadbare status. I know itís an unpopular reality here, but the Thomas lines are marketed for children as a quasi-toy line. Thatís a fact. Theyíre products from a childrenís show and pretending that isnít true just because thereís an active fan base of young (and older) adults who grew up with the books or shows doesnít make it less true. The exploding boxcar is an ape of LGBís popular kids line, the use of late model era freight specific box and tanker cars is an appeal to kids, and if Winston is part of that ďquirkinessĒ, then it should be stated that he was probably made just because heís both cheaper to make than a real locomotive and probably would be more expensive (or at least more relatively expensive) to make in smaller scales. Heís a compromise product at best to diversify the line at the lowest cost.

Am I missing some other piece of the line that makes it weird or quirky? Iím asking because I keep seeing it here and it seems out of place.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2021, 10:40:17 PM »

How is that? Can you please just explain it to me?
jbray

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2021, 11:19:51 AM »

How is that? Can you please just explain it to me?

If you're talking about my response, I'd be happy to, but may you be more specific to which part you'd like me to explain?
Falcon the 2nd

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2021, 11:18:22 AM »

I unfortunately cannot link the post from either website, but Bachmann has confirmed on their official Facebook and Instagram that the Red Coaches have received their first production samples in Large Scale and that they will be shown off at some point soon.

Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
Narrow Gauge - Sir Handel
N Scale - Edward, Mavis, Henrietta, Milk Tanker, Brake Van
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: