News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

70 Ton Shay sound decoder installs.....

Started by Logger Mike, March 16, 2016, 05:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logger Mike

Firstly, let apologize for ranting last weekend about my shays and shorts.  Frustration got the best of me, and I acted like a prize idiot.  I do SINCERELY apologize.  Once I calmed down and did a little more research, I ordered an Econami 100 sound decoder, 8-pin connectors and 3/4"dim Speaker with housing.  Since this is my first decoder install on any type, my only concern is the "Isolation" of the motor.  Since she already has the light board in with an 8-pin connector, is it safe to assume her motor has already been "Isolated"?  Or do I need to tear her down to the motor to do do.  If that is the case, are there any suggestions or recommendations?

Looking forward to having her on the layout running ?

Thanks,

HUMBLY...
Mike
Logger Mike

Hunt

Quote from: Logger Mike on March 16, 2016, 05:07:16 PM

. . .  Since this is my first decoder install on any type, my only concern is the "Isolation" of the motor.  Since she already has the light board in with an 8-pin connector, is it safe to assume her motor has already been "Isolated"?  . . .

The motor is isolated.

Motor is isolated when DCC Ready or DCC decoder equipped.

DCC Ready is short for 'DCC ready for a decoder to be installed.'  DCC Ready means the motor is isolated from the power pickups and there is some means, a socket, solder pads, wires or something else, to accept the installation of a DCC decoder.

Logger Mike

Thanks much, Hunt.  Will post the results probably this weekend.  Looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Mike
Logger Mike

Hunt

Subject line has 70 Ton Shay  but what do you have?-
80 Ton 3 Truck Shay
or
70 Ton 3 Truck Climax

Logger Mike

Sorry...you're right...80-ton Shay, had issues with 70- CLIMAX sound awhile back.....

M.
Logger Mike

Logger Mike

Well, interesting results, and not what I expected.  Gonna post here, then go get sushi before I come back and try to figure it out.  Here I go... Installed Econami and current keeper in tender, 3/4" speaker in coal bunker.  Since it had the light board, I decided to use its 8-pin plug.  Followed wiring diagram for 8-pin and CK....Placed on Program Track, set loco Address to 05.  Placed on main, turned on power, immediately DCC signaled short, I changed Loco address to 05, and she started to make her ( I assume) normal " rest" noise.  Checked all her functions, bell, whistle, etc, all fine.  Put in fwd mode, immediately, DCC signals short, she moves 1/4 to 1/2", DCC signals short, head light (dim) flickers, then she redoes this routine again....after a second or two, DCC does constant short signals, until I put throttle all back to zero.  Put it in reverse... Some loud "gggrrrrrring sound" comes out, constant rhythm, and as I give her gas, she goes......sound stays constant, but she moves.   Stop her, put in fwd mode, shorting, flickering light short move , then stop all over again.  Now I'm not the brightest nail in the poke, but I'm assuming this ain't right.

If you've ideas, I'm all ears.....going to eat sushi now.

Mike

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area

:-[ :-\ ???
Logger Mike

Logger Mike

UPDATE.

Spent about an hour last night researching how break down my Shay.  Without any luck, other than the exploded view that comes with her, I decided to just go ahead and tear her down.... Since I bought her about 5 years ago, I'd say she was out of warranty.  It really wasn't that hard for a first time, took about an hour. 

Anyway, I removed the the light board and traced all the wiring see which was which.  With exception of the motor leads they actually did a good job of wiring her.  The motor is a little more fuzzy, since it is not clear as to the "Poles" and which side goes the Engineer and Fireman sides. 

Tonight, I'll put her back on her trucks now that I know their wires, and temp hookup to Decoder wires, and put her on the track to see the direction the motor turns and determine wire "sides".  The key to this is to put the cylinders' assembly back on so as to see rotation direction of the Driveshaft for going forward direction.  Shouldn't be that hard.  Will post update tonight.

Mike

Logger Mike

Logger Mike

UPDATE #2.....

After considerable angst I'm PROUD to report I have a beautiful running Shay now.  After the temp wiring to see which pole went to Orange, it took about an hour to finish rewiring her and close her up.....I even managed to get the Econami, the Current Keeper AND the 3/4" Speaker all in the water tank.  She runs good, pretty smooth from start.  With a little "run in time". She'll be an awesome work horse.   Thanks to ALL who offered help and advice, especially One person in particular, for pushing me over the edge to pull the Light board out and direct wire.  Awesome  Machine.  Thanks again!

Now on the my other one for the same refit.

Mike

Logger Mike