EZ track crossovers and turnouts

Started by Fowlercabin1960, March 26, 2016, 09:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fowlercabin1960

I am a new railroader and my question is this.  I want to go DCC and I want my turnouts and crossovers to be electrically switched not DCC controlled.  I have bought the both turnouts and crossovers and now I'm reading that the frogs must be plastic in order to be DCC friendly.  My turnouts are but my crossovers are not.  I'm using EZ track and I have read so much and so many ways to address this issue, but it comes back to wether or not the ones I have are DCC friendly.  We are awaiting the return of our converted GP38-2 with decoder and WOW101 sound decoder.  I don't want to burn it up on a track mistake.  I want to keep this simple.  Any help would be appreciated please.

Len

The EZ-Track crossovers were designed specifically for use in DCC layouts, so they are "DCC friendly". Be aware there are two versions of the crossovers, the #6 Remote Crossover and the EZ-Command DCC #6 Single Crossover.

The #6 Remote Crossover uses standard switch controllers to operate them. The EZ-Command DCC version has a built in decoder, allowing it to be controlled by your DCC system. Both come in left hand and right hand configurations.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Fowlercabin1960

Thank you Len for the feedback.  I completed the track install tonight and plan to finalize the wiring Wednesday evening. 

Flyman615

Another similar question. I am about to begin construction of my On30 layout and plan to use nickel silver EZ track. I am also planning to use BOTH DCC and conventional DC, but not simultaneously, of course. My question is, which EZ track turnouts/crossovers can I use for both operating systems?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Z.

Hunt

Quote from: Flyman615 on April 01, 2016, 10:44:55 AM
Another similar question. I am about to begin construction of my On30 layout and plan to use nickel silver EZ track. I am also planning to use BOTH DCC and conventional DC, but not simultaneously, of course. My question is, which EZ track turnouts/crossovers can I use for both operating systems?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Z.

You can use any of the turnouts that are not decoder equipped in a DCC or DC powered layout but a #6 Crossover Turnout. All models of the #6 Crossover Turnout are wired for use with DCC power only.

Len

If you are only going to operate one train at a time in DC mode, with both sides set to the same polarity, you could use the #6 crossover. But electrically it's one unit, so it needs to be modified to isolate the two sides if you plan to operate two DC trains at the same time. In that case, it's easier to use regular #6 switches to build the crossover, with insulated rail joiners between them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.