News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoders

Started by jlc41, March 27, 2016, 12:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlc41

I have 3 Bachmann loco's  I would like to convert to DDC. They are EMD GP 35 Santa Fe #2897, and two train set loco's, an EMD FT Santa Fe, set item #00647 and a steam loco Chattanooga, set item #00626. What if any decoder will fit them?

Also I have a Bachmann 4-4-0 that has a decoder E 20395, ver. # 046 item # 4495. what functions beside the light does it support? I have an NEC Pro Cab for DDC operations.
Thanks
Joe

AGSB

Go to the "Parts, Service and Information" link on the top bar and download the instructions. Also I think you left a number out of the part number, shouldn't it be 44915?

Len

The description for the DCC Ready GP35 says any 6 or 8 wire harness decoder will work.

The 'Chattanooga' steamer is a "light & smoke" 0-6-0" that's not DCC ready, and it's not really worththe hassle of converting. It's been down, but you pretty much have to install the decoder in the tender, which has plastic wheels. So you have to add metal wheels and electric pick-ups to the tender, then install a wiring harness between the tender and loco to get power to the motor and headlight. Leave the smoke unit on track power, it pulls too much current for a function output to handle.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bapguy

On the GP35 you just want DCC or sound and DCC? If DCC use the NCE decoder made for the Bachmann GP35: https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200945019-BACH-DSL
On the FT you need to know if the motor is isolated from the frame. If it is, the NCE decoder might work as well.  Joe

jlc41

AGSB, you are correct on the 44915.
Thanks Len for the info. I guess am going to have to run a DC setup and DDC. Oh well more wiring work for me. But it's an opportunity to learn some more about this hobby.
I see where I have to look into the GP35 some more. bapguy thanks for the link.
Thanks all
Joe

jward

I have a Chattanooga 0-6-0 that I converted to dcc. it was a relatively easy hardwire conversion, as the motor is isolated from the chassis. I removed the smoke unit and used a z scale decoder that fit in the cavity where the smoke unit was.

this locomotive runs pretty well on dcc, but can stall on switches with insulated frogs
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Quote from: jward on March 28, 2016, 06:57:27 PM
I have a Chattanooga 0-6-0 that I converted to dcc. it was a relatively easy hardwire conversion, as the motor is isolated from the chassis. I removed the smoke unit and used a z scale decoder that fit in the cavity where the smoke unit was.

this locomotive runs pretty well on dcc, but can stall on switches with insulated frogs

Which is why it really needs metal wheels and pick-ups on the tender. Especially with #6, and larger, switches.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.