Changing normal direction of travel with RS-3 Sound Value

Started by MP2626, March 28, 2016, 10:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MP2626

I have one of Bachmann's Sound Value Alco RS-3s re-painted as a Northern Pacific loco,  N.P. ran these locos short hood forward and the loco came from factory as long hood forward.  NDOT in CV 29, following my Digitrax Zephyr and decoder manuals states I should just be able to add one number to CV29 to get my loco to change directions; however after much fooling around and discussion with Digitrax and on other forums, I have been unable to get anything to work!

What is the secret?  Please speak in plain English as you DCC nuts will loose me in an instant!

brokenrail

Try cv 29=21 or 22 programming on the main .This should keep it in 128 speed step mode.It is kind of like odd -even numbers in relation to direction.Sometimes you have to re-address the loco hen you do this for some reason.I do not have cv readback on my system,but I take notes.Your getting lost since the loco that you are programming is ALSO when you get into cv 29 sometimes causes it to lose it's address.
Johnny

bapguy

http://tonystrains.com/cv29-look-up-table/
  Here is a link to CV29 values. On Digitrax  128 and up is considered a 4 digit address.   Joe

MP2626

Quote from: brokenrail on March 28, 2016, 11:24:52 AM
Try cv 29=21 or 22 programming on the main .This should keep it in 128 speed step mode.It is kind of like odd -even numbers in relation to direction.Sometimes you have to re-address the loco hen you do this for some reason.I do not have cv readback on my system,but I take notes.Your getting lost since the loco that you are programming is ALSO when you get into cv 29 sometimes causes it to lose it's address.
Johnny

Tried this and nothing changes except yes, the address goes back 03.

Hunt

MP2626.

Would expect Digitrax to have told you to use a Zephyr Xtra (DCS51) or Zephyr (DCS50) DCC system to program the Sound Value decoder factory installed in a Bachmann HO RS-3 locomotive requires,

To use Programming Track - The addition of a Programming Track Booster 

or

To use Programming on the Main  -- Placing the Zephyr in  Blast Mode Programming per the following instructions, which are also necessary to reliably program a SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder.

Click Here for Digitrax Blast Mode Programming instructions.

Cheap and should be an easy way - remove the shell, remove the plastic clips holding the motor leads to the PCB and swap the motor leads placement.  Do not know how to this - find someone  to do it for you.

Hunt

Quote from: MP2626 on March 28, 2016, 10:05:08 AM
. . .
I should just be able to add one number to CV29 to get my loco to change directions
. . .

BTW - Increasing  CV 29 value by one does invert  the forward and reverse direction when using a DCC system that can reliably program a Sound Value decoder.

Hunt

An aside ---

Quote from: brokenrail on March 28, 2016, 11:24:52 AM

Johnny

Johnny,
Programming CV 29 will not cause the decoder to lose any address but you can change if it responds to its 2-digit or 4-digit address.

A CV 29 value of 21 or 22 does not do what you think.
Click Here and use the BackCalc feature to see what CV 29 = 21 and CV 29 = 22 turns ON and OFF

BTW for the Sound Value decoder installed in the HO RS-3 the CV 29 default value is 22 and CV 25 Speed Table Register is 16.

MP2626

Hunt,  I am using my programming track, which has a Sountraxx's PTB-100 Programming Track Booster properly installed.  I believe all the suggestions people have made, have been tried and failed!   I believe your suggestion of programming on the main "Blast"; or, OPS mode programming is because the Soundtraxx decoders require more power than the Digitrax DCS 50 normally produces at the programming track.

Others have suggested reversing the motor leads and this will be my last attempt at trying to get this to happen.  Thanks to everyone for their help in this matter!   

Len

Per Digitrax, sometimes programing sound decoders with the DCS 50 requires laying a 1K Ohm resister across the tracks to increase the current output.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Quote from: Len on March 31, 2016, 07:50:05 AM
Per Digitrax, sometimes programing sound decoders with the DCS 50 requires laying a 1K Ohm resister across the tracks to increase the current output.

Len

Someone is confused.

A 1000 Ohm, ΒΌ Watt resistor laid across the programming track is required for CV read and programming  a non-sound Bachmann (Lenz based) decoder when using a Digitrax Zephyr (DCS50) or Zephyr Xtra (DCS51).

The resistor is useless with SoundTraxx built decoders.

Hunt

Quote from: MP2626 on March 31, 2016, 07:46:28 AM
. . .

. . . programming on the main "Blast"; or, OPS mode programming

. . .

Do not confuse Digitrax Blast Mode Programming with Digitrax Ops Mode Programming. While there are a few similarities, there are key differences.   

MP2626

Since "Blast" mode programming is not mentioned in any of the literature I have with my Digitrax equipment, I simply assumed that it must mean OPS mode programming.  The public has been known to create new names for actions; or other details that the manufacturer did not use.  Assuming, as always, is a dangerous proposition!  I have been known to do it and it always seems to come back to bite me in ASSume!

Since I reversed the leads to the motor and my RS-3 now runs in correct forward for a N. P. RS-3, I am done with this thread and will allow you experts to discuss what "Blast" mode programming is, I really don't care.   

bapguy

How many locos do you have or plan on getting ? A Digitrax PR3 Xtra might be worth a look. You hook it up to a computer and use it to program decoders using JMRI a free software. JMRI lets you create a roster with all your locos so if you have to reset the decoder, you have a file of the CV values.
I would like to see photos of your NP RS3 .  Joe

MP2626

bapguy, Essentially, I have all the locos I need, plus one; or, two.  We are a one computer family and this computer is not anywhere near my layout.  When I first started adding DCC decoders to my locos 15 years ago, I thought records of how I set-up each of my locos would be a good idea.  So, I have a small-spiral bound notebook where each loco has a page and on it, I have written the data for the CV's I have changed to other settings than as from the manufacturer.  This has worked well for me, as it allows instant access to the data for a given loco, at the location where I would program each loco.   

I don't know how to post photo here and I actually don't spend much time here in the Bachmann Forum.  Pretty much only when I have a question(s) on a Bachmann product.