Kadee Couplers and Bachmann EZ mate Coupelrs

Started by AJPiskel, March 31, 2016, 07:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJPiskel

I have some older freight and passenger cars that I have outfitted with Kadee # 5 couplers.
I recently purchased a few new Bachmann cars with the EZ mate couplers.

They couple to each other very well,

I also have a few kadee magnetic uncouplers,, they work well with the kadee's  but not so much with the EZ Mate.

I know the Bachmann also has a magnetic un coupler that attached to the underside of the EZ Track,,,,

Question is,  do I change from Kadee to all EZ mate or just add the second magnetic uncoupler in the same relative place???

Not sure any of this makes sense

Andy

Len

You probably just need to adjust the height of the "air hose" hanging under the EZ-Mate couplers. I use both Kadee and EZ-Mate and both work fine with Kadee magnets if the pin is adjusted using the clearance flange on the Kadee #205 or #206 coupler gauge.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

I might add that Kadee has a nice tool for adjusting the air hose.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

AJPiskel

Thank you .

I have orders the coupler gauge and once it comes in I will set about adjusting the couplers.

One more question.. Kadee magnetic uncouplers  placed on the ties as directed or underneath the ez track?

Thanks again.

Len

I use a #321 Code 100 Uncoupler between the rails. Sometimes I've had to work the top of the ties a bit with an emery board to get the height right, but not always.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

AJ, just so you are aware, I was referring to, and I think RAMBO was as well, Trip Pin Pliers. 

Of course, having a Kadee Coupler Height Gauge is a must have.  I always recommend the #206 which is plastic and won't create a short  if on the tracks with the power on by accident. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

AJPiskel

One more question regarding uncouplers.

As I was searching Micro Mark and other suppliers I came across a Rix Uncoupler....anybody have any experience with them regarding kadee or ez mate couplers??

jbrock27

Yep, have a couple.  They can work, most of the time  ;)  Just have to be within reach to use it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

I like the one on page 68 better.That is Micro-Mark spring cat.

AJPiskel

One last thought about the Kadee uncoupler magnets...I watched a few videos of modelers who use them on atlas track
they cut the ties away where the uncoupler is to be placed...
Can I or should do the same with the EZ track?

Sorry for all the questions but it's been years since I've done this.

Thanks !!!

Andy

James in FL

Yep, cut or drill.
Trip pin clearance above the rail head is paramount.
Get the gauges (or equivalent) mentioned previously.
Without proper clearances it would be difficult, at least, to be successful with automatic uncoupling.
Stronger magnets will require different clearance.
It is a matter of trial and error, not any known number.

Magnetic strength will vary as to the elements (and % thereof) the magnet is made up from.
Many are using rare earth magnets (SmCo or Neo). Lot's on YouTube.
Some like electromagnets. Lots on YouTube also.
And as you know, some like the Bachmann and Kadee versions.
FWIW
I use MT magna-matics as much as possible, and continue to swap as I can.
My trip pins are not all adjusted precisely.
This is what I use, and where I got it;
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Rix-Products-N-Rix-Pick-Uncoupler-Tool-p/rix-628-0024.htm

Your scale may vary.

Good luck