News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 truck second tender

Started by bob kaplan, April 02, 2016, 06:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Hey all...for those familiar with the three truck shay:
   I would like to place some electronics in the trailing tender of the three truck shay.   But I must be able to access them easily once insalled...which means being able to lift the shell off without taking the shay off the track once complete.  Looking at the schematics, I can see that there are screws which hold the shell in place.   Will this shell stay on the truck if the screws are not replaced?   Are there hidden problems that I have not foreseen?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

RIrail

Hi Bob, I don't know the direct answer to the question but if it doesn't stay in place on its own you could glue small magnets in place on the chassis and small metal brackets on the cover and let the magnets hold the cover in place and then come removal time a little pull will disengage the magnets hold.
Good luck.
Steve

bob kaplan

Thanks RI.....that is a clever idea that I might be able to use.

Kevin Strong

Going from memory, I believe the shell does sit down without needing to be screwed in place. Having said that, Steve's idea of magnets to help hold things in place is a good idea in case of derailment. I'd hesitate to make them too strong, though, lest you give yourself a false sense of security when you lift the 3rd truck by the shell. Many of my tender shells are removable so I can get to the batteries to swap them out. It didn't take me too long to learn that I actually want the shell to lift off without much of a fight, so "if" I forget to grab the bottom of the tender, it stays on the ground, as opposed to hanging on long enough to rise about 2 - 3' in the air before gravity takes over.  :-[

Later,

K

bob kaplan

Thanks for the insights gentlemen.    Your replies are welcome.
b