News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DD40AX w/sound value decoder

Started by dankoesterman, April 03, 2016, 12:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dankoesterman

Hello,  I have the Bachmann DD40AX with the sound value decoder, my issue is the volume of the prime mover's, bell and horn can not be adjusted even the master volume I have set the corresponding CVs above the default settings to no avail. other sound value engines are much louder in all aspects. I checked speaker wires and all seem to be connected. what is the next course of action. thanks >:( :'(

brokenrail

Are you saying they will not adjust as loud as you would like them or, that they do not actually adjust up and down?If they all do then your baffle witch is your fuel tank may not be seated properly to the frame. A friend had one and blocked the center walkway of the shell with cardboard painted black and taped in.This created a better seal of the shell above the speakers in the tank and increased the volume quite a bit making the shell a  big resinating chamber and blocked out the view of the flywheel. Doing this gives it a much better low tone of the prime mover also.That is if your not having speaker problems.With the speakers in the tank you have to be carefull  and check to see that the magnets are not picking up metal or track spikes.If there is a loose one ,it will pull it into the cone.ope this helps.
Johnny

dankoesterman

I will try that, but what about drilling out speaker housing holes will that help or hinder?

brokenrail

Hinder .No .There openings at the front and rear of the shell and in the center that does not give it a good chamber.Do the center walkway block with thin cardboard like from a cereal box and you will be much happier with the sound .Just tape the pieces in . I think the hardest part are getting the couples in.You have to take these off to get the shell off ,but leave the wiring hooked up .That is how easy it is .5 feet away you will get a illusion that the walkway in the middle is in shadow ,but through.If there is a piece of tape above the tank covering the frame halves.Remove a little so more sound will get into the shell.We tried making a box around the speakers in the tank and it did not even come close in sound to blocking the center walkway.
Johnny

dankoesterman

brokenrail

Always glad to help if I can.Let me know how it turns out for you.
;D Johnny