News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recent offerings?

Started by danmerkel, November 20, 2007, 07:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danmerkel

I've been looking at smaller steam locomotives lately and would like to add some to my fleet.  I've been told that some of the newer Bachmann offerings are much better than some of the earlier releases.  Is there any way that I can tell which ones are newer and therfore better? 

Thanks.

dlm

Conrail Quality

You can't go wrong with any Spectrim line product. Most (all?)  Spectrum steam has been released in the past 4-5 years anyway.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

lanny

Dan,

Do you run DC or DCC? The 2-8-0s and 2-10-0s are beautiful runners but not very powerful haulers. I have had several 'DC ready' because I do not use DCC. I've been very impressed with the way they run, but not with the way the haul upgrade. But that's okay because I suppose generally neither one prototypicaly hauled long freights.

I have never had a 4-6-0, but have heard it does a good job as well.

Bachmann Spectrum are, IMHO, the best 'bang' for your 'buck' in these steamers ... that also includes the 'Heavy Mountain' and the 2-6-6-2 both which are not only beautiful runners but good haulers as well. (I don't have any light mountains or 2-10-2s from Bachmann)

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

kevin2083

Quote from: lanny on November 22, 2007, 11:59:01 AM
Dan,

Do you run DC or DCC? The 2-8-0s and 2-10-0s are beautiful runners but not very powerful haulers. I have had several 'DC ready' because I do not use DCC. I've been very impressed with the way they run, but not with the way the haul upgrade. But that's okay because I suppose generally neither one prototypicaly hauled long freights.

I have never had a 4-6-0, but have heard it does a good job as well.

Bachmann Spectrum are, IMHO, the best 'bang' for your 'buck' in these steamers ... that also includes the 'Heavy Mountain' and the 2-6-6-2 both which are not only beautiful runners but good haulers as well. (I don't have any light mountains or 2-10-2s from Bachmann)

lanny

And the shay is the best puller I have ever owned. It actually pushed an IHC mike and 22 car freight out of a tunnel.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

danmerkel

...but I'm talking about"other" Bachmann engines.  Yes, I generally understand that the Spectrum line is "better" than the standard line, but I'm asking about the standard ones... I'd like some smaller engines; the Spectrums tned to be larger offerings... 2-10-0, 4-8-2, 2-6-6-2... about the only "small" Spectrum I'm aware of is the 4-6-0.

Does that make my question any clearer?

dlm

Pacific Northern

Note the Spectrum 4-4-0 is a superb small mainline engine.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

The Russian Decapod is not a large engine.  The 2-8-0, while large for a 2-8-0, is still a small medium sized engine.  Then there are the 4-4-0s
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

the 'standard line' bachmann steam locos are:
0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2(same loco,some with leading/trailing wheels)
old time 4-4-0
2-8-4 berkshire
GS4 northern
Niagra 4-8-4
Santa Fe 4-8-4.

The only one that I can give any advice on is the 0-6-0. I'd say it's a nice runner, but it could use a little more detail. I took the smoke unit out of mine.

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||