News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

noisy Baldwin Shark B unit(powered)

Started by andyk, April 07, 2016, 01:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyk

I have a HO scale Bachmann Baldwin Shark A and B unit. The B unit makes a grinding noise when running. I have had both units matched CV  wise on a friend's DCC layout and have lubricated the unit but to no avail. Other than fitting a NCE decoder is there anything else that I can do to suppress the noise from the B unit.

Hunt

NCE BACH-DLC decoder or the like will eliminate a hum/whine noise due to the Bachmann decoder's motor drive frequency.  A grinding sound source is mechanical and no decoder is useful in eliminating or suppressing mechanical noise.

andyk

Thanks Hunt so we're really no further forward other than returning it to Bachmann ?

Hunt

Contact Bachmann Service Dept. to discuss your options.

brokenrail

Have they been broken in? Usually takes a few hours of running in both directions before they get quite as they can be.Also the worm gear  bearings drive shaft and motor bearings should be lubricated  properly if they have been run a long time and or not run for a long time.Over lubrication of the motor bearings will make a noise and not run very well if at all if the lube creeps inside the motor.
Johnny

bapguy

Put both units on the track about a foot or so apart. Run both units to see if the B unit is running faster then the A unit. If so the B unit needs to be slowed down or the A unit sped up. This is where speed matching comes in. I would replace the decoders if they're the Bachmann ones with the NCE ones.   Joe