News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Jupiter 4-4-0 Paint Questions

Started by NathperJupiter, April 08, 2016, 12:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathperJupiter

Hello!

I'm here trying to find out about the new tooling American 4-4-0, namely the Jupiter paint scheme. I was wondering if anybody, Bach-Man included, knows the paint used for the blue as well as the red. I've been able to find some close blue matches, such as Federal Standard #15080, however Model Master 1972/1772 enamels seem fairly
close as well.

Please let me know if anybody here knows, thanks!

J3a-614

I could be wrong, but I don't think you're likely to find an exact match.  A firm like Bachmann will often have its paint custom mixed, very likely by another company that makes other paints; they aren't going to go to a supplier such as we would use, as it would cost too much. 

On top of this, most if not all of Bachmann's production is from China, so it's likely the paint supplier is there, too.

If you can get a close match, that's what you'll want to use.  Perhaps weathering, if that's the route you're going, will hide some of the differences.

Which brings to mind, what are you planning on doing with the engine?  Most model paint jobs today are fantastic compared with what was available before.  The only thing I can think of would be either redetailing the engine (i.e., replacing the cast on injector piping and check valve), or possibly renaming the engine for one of its four sisters that were built at the same time (one of which was the basis for the Leviathan, the replica built by Kloke Locomotive Works). 

Just a little curious--and wondering what you plan to use for decals!

Oh, how I wish Champ was still in business. . .  :'(

NathperJupiter

I'm mainly planning on fixing some of the details I'm rather nit-picky about, such as inaccurate tender truck colors, and fix some areas where paint was slightly chipped when I received the engine. I also have been planning a new railroad (who knows if it'll ever come to fruition, but planning is always fun) and I'd love to reletter this engine for the railroad as well as alter the name. I'm also looking into adding a single-phase air pump on one side, and I think it might look very smart painted black with some blue and gold detailing on that.

It's all more along the lines of the hypothetical, however if I do decide to go through with it I just figured it'd be wise to ask in advance. As for decals, I've been trying to decide between using the available golden alphabet decals most online suppliers have, or if I want to try and find a custom decal company, such as http://www.railgraphicsdecals.com/home.html or another. I've also been debating between dry transfers and normal decals, as dry transfers seem much easier and forgiving- however normal decals are more readily available, especially for use on locomotives.

It's a wonderful engine, runs fantastic. Incredibly quiet as well, which is very nice.

on30gn15

These might be good inspirations for color schemes,
QuoteBaldwin Styles: Reference Illustrations.
By David Fletcher.
The following illustrations Represent Baldwin Locomotives delivered around the globe and have been sorted by their "Style Number" for ease of reference. Many of the styles as they are listed below have simplified descriptions ignoring specific notations applied to each order.
http://www.pacificng.com/template.php?page=/ref/locobuilders/blw/style/stylediag/index.htm

They are out of production at the moment but Microscale has had period locomotive trim decals.
Don't know the name and number offhand, and my sets are buried in a box in the back bedroom right now.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest