Tansformer keeps showing over load

Started by Kids and Trains, April 09, 2016, 07:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kids and Trains

I have a Bachmann #6 Remote Crossover Turnout. When I put in to my lay out the transformer over load light comes on. When I remove the cross over the light will not come on.  What am I doing wrong?

James in FL

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.
Sounds like a polarity issue.
Easy fix.
Have you access to a multi-meter?

What Scale?

Kids and Trains

Yes I have a multi meter, and I have HO E-Z track.

Hunt

The Bachmann # 6 Remote Crossover Turnout is wired for use in a DCC powered layout.   It cannot be used with DC power without modification.

Len

As long as only one train is being run on the layout, the #6 Crossover will work fine in a DC layout. The problem happens when there are two loops with two trains, one on each loop, trying to be controlled seperately. Because, without modification, the two sides of the crossover are electrically the same, problems occur.

If either sides power pack is adjusted, it affects both sides. An overload will show up if the track connecter on one side is reversed, creating a short between the power packs. Flipping either connector will eliminate the short, but not the common control problem unless the crossover is modified.

The other thing that can cause an overload condition, even if only one train and power pack is being used, is if the crossover is creating a reverse loop. If the layout is a "dog bone" shape, loops at each end connected by parallel tracks creating the illusion of a dual track mainline, installing a crossover in the "mainline" creates a reverse loop situation and an overload. In which case, the reverse loop needs to be isolated with insulated rail joiners and the appropriate reverse loop wiring. Which means either modifying the crossover, or replacing it with two standard #6 crossovers, which makes it easier to isolate the reverse loop properly.

One of these days I really wish Bachmann would either start including instructions on how to modify the crossovers in the box. Or better, redesign them with removable jumpers to set them up for use in DC layouts. By now it should be obvious that people with DC layouts keep buying them and getting frustrated with Bachmann when they have problems.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.