Bachmann Sodor Mail Car on eBay...

Started by railtwister, April 14, 2016, 09:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

Wow! A used Bachmann mail car with the original "Sodor Mail" graphics just sold on eBay for a rather staggering price! See eBay item #381591739848 for some serious sticker shock...

Looks like there are some pretty serious Thomas collectors out there.

Bill in FtL

Duke

Wow :o. I got three of those, maybe I should try to sell two  ;D
Thomas - Henry - Percy/Toby/Emily - Spencer - Gordon/James - Edward/Mavis - Salty - Bill/Ben - Donald/Douglas - Diesel - Duck - 'Arry - Bert - Skarloey - Oliver - Rheneas/Rosie - Rusty

JLK2707

How much are you willing to sell them for?

thomasj219

I can't seem to see it. How much did it sell for?
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Cheeky_ULP

railtwister

Strange, today I couldn't find it by the item number either. i wonder if the sale maybe fell through? Anyway, I went back to my emails from eBay and was able to access the page from there:

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/381591739848>.

To save anyone the trouble of looking it up, the hammer price was $112.50 (I stopped bidding when someone else went up to $46, my own limit was $35). Actually, I thought it was a bit more and that the original winner had over 3500 transactions credited to his account, (it's likely he may have been a dealer), but now he doesn't seem to show up at all on the bidding record - very strange, guess my memory is going. In any event, the listed winner looks like he placed a high automatic bid early in the game, since he got in on the bidding when it was at less than $2.

Bill in FtL

Chaz

This is why I am grateful that I have four of them.  I got two when they first came out, and I ordered two more once the CGI oil tank was revealed, thinking the mail car would be next (which I guessed right).   Collectors are not afraid to spend crazy amounts on discontinued products on eBay.  I sold my Bachmann red express coaches not that long ago for over $150 plus shipping.  Speaks for itself, really.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

railtwister

In looking for the lost eBay item # link, I spotted two other mail cars also listed for sale, both using the "Sodor" version photograph, likely from the Bachmann catalog. One of them had pictures of both the Sodor and the current version with the winged envelope icon, so it's likely that the seller is just using artwork on the main photo that was lifted from a catalog, his other photo shows the current version in the blister pack, and it looks like a photo the seller may have taken himself. The other listing is from a major hobby retailer who is listing the item as new, so I suspect that the his may also be the newer version as well. Hopefully the bidders check with the seller before going too high on their bid, otherwise they may be disappointed.

Bill in FtL

railtwister

Today (Monday), I checked with Chicagoland Hobbies regarding the Sodor Mail car they had listed on eBay, and as I suspected, they had used a stock photo of the version with the older graphics in their eBay ad, the one actually for sale was the one with the winged envelope icons.

Bill in FtL