News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 Tender Backup Lamp

Started by majordadsage, April 22, 2016, 08:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

majordadsage

I just purchased (have not received it yet) a Bachmann N 4-6-0 "Ten Wheeler".  I want to add a backup lamp to the tender.  Are there any other tender shells with backup lamps that are interchangeable with the 4-6-0 tender?  If not, can a person buy the backup lamp assembly from Bachmann and install it? 

gatrhumpy

Majordadsage, Bachmann won't install anything for you. You'll either have to do it yourself, or if you'd like, I can do it if that's something that you don't feel like tackling.

majordadsage

I haven't found an after-market "backup lamp" for N Scale Steam.  Do you know where it can be bought?  I don't mind doing the install but, I can't find the lamp.

A vandy tender (model power) has the lamp installed and, the tender is dcc ready.  It should be a fairly easy swap but, the vandy tender in B&O is not available.  Sold Out.

Thanks

spookshow

The decoder in the 4-6-0 doesn't have outputs for a backup light, so you'd have to pull that out and replace it with one that does. For example, the TCS M1 has outputs for two light functions.

Then I guess it all depends on how elaborate you want the backup light housing to be. It could just be as simple as drilling a small hole in the back of the tender and then sticking a bulb (or LED) in there.

Cheers,
-Mark

brokemoto

Do not replace the B-mann tender with a MP.  The MP tender is only half wheels live.  The B-mann is all wheels live.   Using a half wheels live tender will adversely affect the performance of this locomotive.

Are you running DC or DCC?

If you are running DCC, you would have to follow Spookshow's instructions.

If you are running DC, you could buy the directional circuit board, the bulb/LED and a fixture (several of the detail manufacturers sell them).  If you drill  a hole in the aft of the tender, drill or hollow out the fixture, if necessary, then affix it to the back of the tender.  Run the necessary wiring from the metal strips in the B-mann tender and position the bulb/LED so that the light shines through the fixture.  A light coating of microkristallklear from Microscale will serve as a lens for the fixture.

majordadsage

Yes....I am running Dcc.  I am considering putting sound in the 4-6-0 anyway.  I am brand new to N Scale, 68 years old, and just a little hesitant to drill holes in a brand new locomotive.  I guess right now, I am looking for a fairly straight forward solution to this issue so that I can order the assembly and then possibly have someone else do the install. 

It seems that the back up light could be a "headlamp" that is mounted on the rear of the tender.  I have found a couple of headlamps that might work. 

http://www.trainmastermodels.com/product-p/dta8006.htm 
https://www.showcaseminiatures.net/n_scale/n_scale_century_foundry_signals/513.html

I really didn't think it would be this much trouble.