News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

parts

Started by frisbrob, April 20, 2016, 02:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frisbrob

Hi, i have an engine by bachmann that they say is to old and they have no parts for it. I am wondering if anybody knows where i can get an armature, brushes, brush springs? The engine is the Centennial DD40X loco, the # on the end of the box is 41-665-01 UP ho scale. I bought this about 30+ years ago put it on the track and ran it around the track 3 times and it stopped and smoked, like an idiot i never sent my warranty card in or took it back to the store and then forgot about it, now my 20 year old son wants to get our layout and trains up and running and i would like to fix this. Any ideas?

WoundedBear

Buy a newer model locomotive. Probably going to be easier and cheaper than repairing the old unit. The warranty card is a useless thing.......I've never mailed one in. What is really needed to obtain a warranty claim, is a receipt of purchase.

Sid

AGSB

It would be far easier and cheaper just to buy a complete new motor. It would run better than just repairing the old motor also.

frisbrob

Ya, i know, it's just that they cost so much more now, i payed $25.00 for this one new and now they are $125.00 and up and if i could find a new motor for it i would just replace the whole motor. I have replaced the armatures and bushing springs in these stupid pancake motors before in other engines i have and it's not hard, i don't know why anybody uses these motors in the first place they all burn up. My son just lost one of his engines the other night that had one of these motors in it.

AGSB

Google "Bachmann Pancake Motor Replacement". Lots of info and pictures.

Also check this thread http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=30491.0

Everyone appears to replacing the motors with old CD drive motors.

frisbrob

Well, after looking into this and what everybody is saying, I am not going to bother with trying to fix this, in fact it turned into a dummy last night, it will just sit on a side track with it's lights flashing for looks. Even with the weights taken out of it so it is as lite as possible another engine couldn't push or pull it, even with the gears out and the wheels oiled and on the big wide turn track there is still to much drag. Good thing i bought this back when it only cost $25.00

jward

remember that with the increase in price came an exponential increase in quality. I can't see a pancake motor providing enough power to adequately power this locomotive. they were cheap, relatively weak, and prone to overheating.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA