Gear replacement in Mogul 2-6-0 G scale

Started by Rich 1936, May 05, 2016, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich 1936

I just ran into a problem with the gears in the motor of my Mogul 2-6-0. How do you get the motor out and replace the gears?. I had the instructions for this a few years ago, but have lost them. Also, where can I get a new set of gears? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Rich 1936

Thanks Bill. This is what I was looking for.  In fact, this is the same article  I printed a few years ago, but miss placed.  Thanks again.

Richard

Kevin Strong

One "correction" to Bill's article. While NWSL sells a 24-tooth gear intended for the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0, I have yet to encounter a 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 that has a 24-tooth gear in it. All of the ones I've had apart have had a 25-tooth gear--the same gear that is in the "Connie" outside-frame 2-8-0.

That replacement gear is part# 2226-6

I've put this NWSL replacement gear in, and have had no troubles. My suggestion; take your gearbox apart, count the teeth, then order the appropriate gear.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Richard and all readers,

In doing my repair I did not count the teeth and I relied on the NWSL information. Nonetheless my 2-6-0 is running perfectly with the 24 tooth gear mentioned in the FAQ article.  This makes me wonder if there were changes to the gearbox in later runs.  My 2-6-0 was purchased from the first run just as it came out.  Kevin's info is new to me, and when I went back to my article to put in a warning to count the teeth, I found it to be "read only" and I cannot change it.

While I have never had a forum member tell me of any problems based on the article, I do apologize for any inconvenience to anyone using the info I posted who may have had trouble.  If anyone using the instructions has had a problem with the recommended NWSL 24 tooth gear please let me know. 

Take Kevin's advice and count the teeth to be sure.  While the repair is not difficult, doing it the first time can be a little stressful.  I still recommend doing it all at the same time, so maybe get both gears before you start.  Taking things apart and waiting  a week or two to get a part can lead to confusion when reassembling the locomotive because we tend to forget exactly what we did when we took it apart. 

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

Going from 25 to 24 teeth is only a 4% reduction in the diameter of the gear, which on that gear (around 1/2" diameter) would end up being a difference of about .010"  on the radius. I seriously doubt that little difference would have any impact on operation, so I don't think anyone's going to suffer damage by using one gear versus the other. My 4-4-0 is 1st-generation, and has (had) a 25-tooth gear. My guess is that someone along the way miscounted the number of teeth.

I'd not worry about it. ;)

Later,

K