News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Disassembling USRA 0-6-0

Started by bob_wargowski, April 24, 2016, 05:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob_wargowski

I have a USRA 0-6-0 with DCC. I need to get at the Decoder. I can tell that the cab roof can be removed, but I have been unsuccessful in getting it off without breaking anything. Any suggestions on how to remove it safely?

Thanks

jonathan

There is a very small screw that holds the roof on.  You have to remove the boiler shell to access the screw.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18444.0.html

Regards

Jonathan

bob_wargowski

Thanks, Jonathon. After looking at your link, you obviously know a lot about working on these guys. I am trying to get the shell off, but it is not clear how to get it off without taking the whole thing apart. The back end seems to be moving, but the front end seems very tight. Any hints on that?

Thanks,
Bob

jonathan

Look to the rear and just above the steam cylinders.  You should see a very tiny screw on each side.  The newest DCC 0-6-0s have little screws to remove.  The older 0-6-0s had tabs that were very difficult to work with.

I know I posted photos of those little screws in the past, but now can't find them.

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
If guys would go to the other pars of this site-like information, or parts, they would really be pleasantly surprised.  They (the staff) are very helpful as well, and do care about their customers.  I am at the finishing stages of the pair of Mikes I decided to build this past winter; Time is an elusive commodity, though...
Like you, I like to tinker around.  That 0-4-0 linkage got me intrigued some time back.  I had thought the nominal offerings, like model power, had overly simple, very basic  gear, as well as those 'pizza cutters'.  Then I saw one on "Evil-Bay" and decided to go for the modification.
What has surprised me is that Bachmann had not, to my knowledge,  produced an A-5, or a reasonable facsimile... They were a great-looking engine, and really give a layout some "expansion". 
When the Panama Canal project was started, They were using what appeared to be A-5s on their 'dirt trains'.

Rich C.

MarcF

" If guys would go to the other parts of this site-like information, or parts, they would really be pleasantly surprised.  "

But it still would not answer his question. A parts diagram is great but in this case, of little benefit. And the same goes for both available diagrams.

Marc

electrical whiz kid

Marc;
Why would a diagram be 'of little benefit'?  To me, taking all the help I can get is always a fairly productive approach.

Using something like an exploded diagram would be of great help, especially to someone unfamiliar with  the product.  At least to me.

Rich c.

MarcF

Rich, 

Expolded parts diagrams are certainly helpful.  But, because none of the parts diagrams showed or mention the cab roof as a removable part  let alone any screw , latch or whatever, I really did not think it would help him along at all. 

Before posting,  I looked at all the diagrams for the USRA 0-6-0. and none show cab roof removal or hints to it. 

Now I did  not  quite understand taking the roof off to get at the decoder mind you. 

Jonathan's link was certainly the most helpful of all for Bob.

If I offended, was not meant too.

Marc