News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoder with Sound

Started by pdansalvish, May 02, 2016, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdansalvish

I have a RBBB F3A diesel and would like to install a DCC decoder and sound into it.  What decoder with sound is recommended and how hard would it be to install?

bapguy

What brand of loco? Is it DCC friendly? IE motor isolated from frame?  Joe

West Bound

A Soundtraxx Tsumani TSU-IM1000 EMD 567 would be correct for an F3. -John West

pdansalvish

bapguy and West Bound,

Thanks for the information.  I realized a made an error the engine is a F7A. 

Here is the link from the Bachman Web store for the engine.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_617&products_id=5913

However, according to the following information in the web page the engine can accept an 8 Pin NMRA decoder.
Die-cast chassis, operating headlight per prototype, teardrop windows, separate windshield wipers, and E-Z MateĀ® Mark II couplers. DCC ready with a factory-installed 8-pin socket for DCC decoder installation.

Most likely I will use a Tsunami mobile and sound decoder based on West Bound's comments.  Unfortunately, their web page is not very helpful and provides enough detail to make a valid evaluation.

Dave

Reinhard S

Hi.

I would recommend that you look at ESU LokSound decoders as well.  The motor control is precise and the sound is the best in the business (IMHO).

All the best.

Reinhard

MarcF

Do not know how picky you are but the new Econami does have the EMD 567 non-turbo.  As per Soundtraxx, the Tsunami is end of life and not in production. Until 6 of May you also get 10$ off on the Econami.   

It is much less expensive than the ESU.  I have nothing against ESU mind you, the are  a good decoder with great sounds and well appreciated,  not in my preferred  price range.  Maybe not yours

Marc

bapguy

The new Ecnomi board style is the way I would go. Replace the PC board in there now with it. Also look to add a current keeper to it as well. Part number 810140. Joe

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/econami/ecopnp.php

Although for a GP9 this will give you an idea on how to install a decoder.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/appnotes/bachmann_gp7.pdf

brokenrail

I would go with the Economi .You cannot go wrong.This decoder has a good power and a updated EQ compared to Tsumani. Better low end register in the EQ.And as for the current keeper.All you really need is a larger capacitor if you have room.I used a 1000uf and it works well.Should have room in a F unit for it if you plan well.Find a good 8 ohm 2 watt speaker.You will need it rather then a 1 watt to enjoy the sound it puts out.If these are a sample of things to come from Soundtraxx.It will be a great improvement with all the more railroad oriented logical functions .You do not hear the wiper blades going or the cows mooing .Besides there was once a sayng Buy American.This would fit Soundtraxx mainly.
Johnny