News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Amateur with power issues

Started by mlc211, June 12, 2016, 08:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlc211

I have a ten year old G scale set (Tweetsie Railroad) that I ran on about a 30' track years ago for my autistic son.  We moved several years ago and I am finally putting it together again but it will be 8' longer so I know I will have power issues.  It runs the hollow steel track and I am trying to figure out how to increase power in a cost effective way that is simple for an inexperienced railroader.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  This is G scale by the way. 

Chuck N

Have you tried running it with the new layout?  If the track connections are tight, it should work as long as you don't add more cars or a grade.

If that is going to be the extent of your layout, I'd recommend a 3 or 5 amp power supply.  Many of the "G" gauge sellers on the internet should be able to help you.  This would allow you to pull more cars.

Look at the previous thread on NEW TO G.  A lot of this has been covered in that thread.

I assume your layout will be indoors.  Your track will rust badly, if you use it outdoors.

Chuck

mlc211

Thanks,  I haven't run it yet.  I have ordered the additional track and will try it next weekend probably.  It struggled before but did have a mild grade.  No grade at all this time and it is indoors.  I'll try that first.  Thanks for your help.

Joe Zullo

Make sure to clean the old track, as it probably oxidized over the years. Keep it clean (and clean the loco wheels) and you should be OK.  ;)

mlc211

Thanks for the tips, guys.  Here is a video of the train running if you are interested.  My son is thrilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lV12ZBMxRE