Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jonathan MacCormack

SteamGene:

Type into search line....."  pliobond cement ", youwill find answers

richG

I am surprised by the question but anyway, I buy it at the local hardware store. Contact Cement is about the same. I think Rubber Glue is about the same. There might be a couple other brands of the same catagory. Walther's Glue.

In the future if you have a question like this, search the 'Net. You can search with Yahoo, Google, Scroogle Ask. Many people have no clue that the 'Net is one huge library and the answer is out there.

Rich

Dr EMD

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Jake

Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Rich,
I checked the net first  I found mention of it several times, but nothing more.  The instructions for the structure in question are specific - "...use Pliobond Cement," not "...use Pliobond Cement or other similar adhesive,"  which would have sent me towards Walthers Goo.  I have not seen - or perhaps noticed the stuff around here.  It may be very common elsewhere, but maybe not here.
And if you are going to search the net, and want to help railroading, search through Good Search and pick one of the railroad museums to benefit.  I like the B&O Museum. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jonathan MacCormack

Try Yellow Pages and look under "Hardware Stores" and call them for product availability. Try Loews, Target, Home Depot, or using your head to think of imaginative sources and location of the product.

Seems easy to me.

But then, maybe I assume too much!

Jonathan

r.cprmier

Pliobond, Goo, et al, are all pretty much thee same composition.  Figure it this way:  One jobber can push his product to several distributors.  All he had to do was dress it up in different "drag".
Therer isn't as much diversification here as one night think.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

fieromike

Quote from: Jonathan MacCormack on November 22, 2007, 08:27:11 PM
Try Yellow Pages and look under "Hardware Stores" and call them for product availability. Try Loews, Target, Home Depot, or using your head to think of imaginative sources and location of the product.

Seems easy to me.

But then, maybe I assume too much!

Jonathan

Don't forget your local Ace Hardware!  These people carry an astounding variety of goodies that will only get you a blank stare at the "big box" places.

Mike

Woody Elmore

Goo was thicker than Pliobond. I myslef would use silicone caulk instead. It works just as well.

r.cprmier

Woody;
Why would you use silicone? 

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Gene,

What do you plan to use this stuff for?

I use NON silicone adheasve caulk to glue down track, it works very well. PolySeamSeal is my prefered brand.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Sheldon,
I need to glue track to the top of a viaduct.  The kit specifies Pliobond Cement, which I've never heard of before and I've never before heard of a kit maker specify a particular brand, rather than type.  They listed a  product number and I wondered if it weren't a propriotory brand so I searched and found mention of it, being used, among other things, to fix lenses and mirrors to telescope barrels. 
So I figured somebody here might have some idea. 
Apparently a couple of people had some poor turkey yesterday.
It turns out the stuff is apparently not distributed around here, which is why I didnt recognize the name.  I found some stuff called Goop which sounds like Walthers Goo but much cheaper (why am I not surprised?) and I bought it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Woody Elmore

I have found that a little dab of silicone works just as well as Pliobond or rubber cement. I built a number of Walthers and Silver Streak kits years ago and never cared for either Goo or Pliobond. Goo was great with old Atlas flex track with the fiber ties. You could glue it down very easily. It wouldn't work with plastic track - the solvent attacked it.

I am surprised that they still make the stuff. There was a problem with kids sniffing it years back because it was acetone based. So if you meet some really ditzy old model railroaders who built a lot of Walther's kits, you know why they they behave funny!

If someone is intent on using a rubber type cement just get a jar of plain old rubber cement. It used to come in jars with a brush. That's what I used to use. (I used to get the cement that libraries used to stick the little envelope on to the front cover of books. (Books - remember those!)

SteamGene

I've used rubber cement for several things, to include gluing figures to the layout. It holds them well, but it's fairly easy to ease them off and reposition them later.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat