STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2022, 07:14:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Print
Author Topic: Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread  (Read 256337 times)
magiclamp

they/them

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 03, 2021, 03:39:57 PM »

Hey all, I'm thinking about making some narrow gauge engines of my own! I've designed my own Proteus/Sir Handel in 3D on my computer, and I'm thinking about using it to make an 009 Proteus. Should I get a bachmann Skarloey/Rheneas first to see if the size is for me, or should I dive in? If it's the latter, what chassis do you all recommend? (N-Drive, Bachmann Skarloey, etc.) Thank you all!

magiclamp

Probably wishing I had more space so I could have a layout lol
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 28, 2021, 05:19:21 PM »

The Bachmann Skarloey chassis should just be fine.
magiclamp

they/them

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 01, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »

Hello all once again! Can anyone provide me with a head on view (preferably taken from far away zoomed in to counteract perspective) of the Bachmann Rheneas? I'm currently scaling some 3D prints and I want to get it just right. Sadly I don't have my own rheneas but that will come in time.

TrainMan2001

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 25, 2021, 08:33:58 PM »

Hey guys, I don't know how many of you know about this, but there's a guy on Twitter who makes Series 4 faces for all of the Narrow Gauge engines Bachmann has released so far. His show is Rex's Funky Face shop on Shapeways. The are some for 009 models (meant for 3D printed shells) and Bachmann models.

He also mentioned that he may be prepared for whenever Peter Sam is released! Anyway, they are really amazing (and hopefully even better once painted) and I think you should check them out if you're at all interested!

Bachmann trains are awesome! Here's my ShapeWays Shop link: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kemptown-carriage-works
magiclamp

they/them

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2021, 03:11:01 PM »

These are wonderful! Definitely going to grab these when I get the Bachmann NG engines myself. Thanks for showing!

Mulfred100
« Reply #500 on: July 29, 2021, 03:02:42 AM »

I recently got some faces too.

I need to redo a few and I seem to have misplaced two Rusty Faces but these really make a world of difference to what I can do on the layout. I have been having alot of fun with these. Again sadly I know these aren't the best but I will admit I'm not the best when it comes to painting small things. But heres a few of my favourite shots.

And of course I couldn't leave out the coaches

Lastly I was playing around last night with some lights for night time shoots. This was the result

Hope everyone is happy safe and healthy
Angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 03, 2021, 06:34:35 PM »

I like your pictures. They look professional which I can't do. Really good work as always.

"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden
TrainCollector

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 18, 2021, 09:00:21 AM »

Who is excited for Peter Sam? I know I am! Heís currently on preorder with my job. I work at Family Hobby Center in Naples Florida. We sell tons of electric model trains in 4 different scales. We have HO, N, O and G scale. I currently have most of Bachmannís 2021 announcements on preorder. I just got Large Scale Paxton two weeks ago and Bachmann did not disappoint. Iím just hoping Peter Sam will be released before the end of the year. Thereís no doubt in my mind that Sir Handle will be the next Narrow Gauge Engine announced. He sounds like the most reasonable and obvious choice.
JLK2707

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 18, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »

I know I am! I just cannot wait to have him on my train set! Smiley
Mulfred100
« Reply #504 on: April 13, 2022, 04:09:52 AM »

I am very proud to showcase my latest project with the help of Famous eight on twitter.

He designed the Crovan's Gate sheds for himself and scaled the model to fit HO scale. I purchased the files off him, then sent the files to Shapeways for printing.

Upon arrival it was just a case of assembly.

A quick spray with primer

The painting and adding details like Windows

Unfortunately one window frame was damaged during printing however with this window I have added a piece of plastic I've cut to make it look like a smashed window and given it a full backstory.
One day Sir Handel was cross and when he was fetching his coaches he angrily let of steam, filling the shed with his steam a workman fell off his ladder and the ladder went through the window.

Once the painting and windows were done, next came the big task. The roof. I will admit I bought the wrong thing off ebay for the roof which made more work for myself however it turned out OK. Maybe a bit weathering at a later date.

And with that the sheds are now built. Theres a few tiles I need to fix and I need to trim down the moss on the side of the shed but I am very happy with how this project has turned out. It's rare for me to make something that I'm actually happy with.

I think the engines look right at home. As I'm sure Peter Sam will he very soon.

magiclamp

they/them

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 10, 2022, 02:11:06 PM »

Wow! Those sheds look awesome, they came out great! Honestly these could pass as the TV show props. Everyone here is so talented!!

Mulfred100
« Reply #506 on: May 30, 2022, 11:36:34 AM »

Yellow Rheneas and the engine he would become

Back when Yellow Rheneas was first announced I'll openly admit I rolled my eyes abit. But as more time passed by I realised the potential he has and how I could make something pretty special. These are my first steps.

Firstly tho an obligatory photo of Yellow Rheneas on my layout. Skarloey and Rusty where shocked.

Now meet Rhodri the Mining engine

Now Rhodri is exactly what you think, a Yellow, weathered, cabless version of Rheneas. But with a full backstory but more on that later. Firstly how I made him and turned him into the engine he is today. Also I will say this isn't him 100% finished. I made mistakes and I want to fix them and not just with weathering but that's a later subject.

Now Rhodri clearly has a better side. The left. I had a few issues with his right hand side. For some reason when I applied the first coat of matt clear spray his paint began pealing with is totally my fault. I moved him and touched things upon applying the spray becuase I accidentally knocked him over and he sat on the board I was using which probably caused that issue. However I will try and fix it but for now weathering covers it up.
The face is from Ertl Godred and fits him beautifully. Also becuase of his back story I feel it suits him not to have a name or number but you can see the remains of what was once there.
As a runner he is exactly the same as Rheneas

Backstory/head canon

Rhodri used to work on the Mid Sodor as a Mining Engine. However he had an accident within his first week. In those days Engines were brand new and the Mid Sodor couldn't afford to repair him. So he was left aside. A few years later a new engine came and one of Rhodri's brothers started work too. He was called Jennings. Smudger also joined but he's another story.

As time went on Rhodri was forgotten or so he thought. The mines closed and the railway did too but a very wise engine made sure to tell two other scallywags Rhodri's tale.

Fast forward to now and Rhodri works hard on the Skarloey railway. His duties usually involve Quarry work but he's also a very good maintenance engine and helps Rusty when needed.

He's not one for Coaches, the passengers love him but the big engines tease him especially Gordon who doesn't think its appropriate to pull Coaches when you worked in a mine.

However he's always on hand shunt Coaches or tidy up the yard.
I hope to do more with him very soon. I'd love to make a cleaner version but this is him for now. I plan on doing alot more with him and feature him on my channel in the future.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 30, 2022, 01:05:20 PM »

IÖ Really really like this a lot. Thatís a very creative way to incorporate yellow Rheneas as an OC.  Very good work on the modifications and making it fit in nicely with your collection.  Very good work Mulfred!  You might actually make me tempted to pick up Yellow Rheneas and do something similar myself!
TerencetheTractor525

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 01, 2022, 08:30:07 AM »

Terrific work, Mulfred100! It is amazing how much realistic buildings and scenery can bring any model railroad to life, and I really like how you created an original character with the new Yellow Rheneas model. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to more progress pics in the future!

Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.
Angelob6660

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 05, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »

I thought the yellow Rheneas was exactly Rheneas in his beginning early service. Before he got repainted and got a full enclosure cab.

It was a good idea to convert a new engine with a new name. Excellent job.

"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: