News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crutch

Ok just to clarify will the dual gauge be the two sizes joined together so that they share a rail like at the new Blue Mountain Quarry or will it be side by side? Something you could do is a little winch (both quarries from the series had one). All you'd have to do is add a really steep incline and attach a few cars to two different lengths of string. Sorry it just struck me as I was re-watching Blue Mountain Mystery.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Chaz

Yes dual gauge is two tracks sharing one of the same rails:

No plans for an incline, it would take up a lot of space and it would be pretty difficult for us to put together/pull off.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Captain Crutch

That is epic! Did you custom make those or purchase them? If you purchased them where did you? Sorry for asking so many questions I just really want to set up a meet up of Skarloey and Thomas to exchange loads or something of the sort. It'd make for some interesting crashes if such things were to occur.

Chaz

My club purchased the dual gauge track, but I am sure you can purchase them online somewhere.  Bear in mind that the dual gauge track we are using on the mountain is HO and HOn3, what you would want for Thomas/Skarloey is HO and 009 dual gauge track which you can purchase here:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/73297/Tillig_85126_Box_of_10_Dual_Elite_gauge_Flexi_track_HO_OO9_single_/StockDetail.aspx

Captain Crutch

Thank you so much! I've been trying to find so much as a standard straight for a while. All I could find were special pieces that do all sorts of things I don't need it to.

Chaz

And now, the newest arrival in my 009 collection...

A huge thank you to Michael for managing to get this to me in time for my birthday!  Will post more pictures soon.

Duke

Thomas - Henry - Percy/Toby/Emily - Spencer - Gordon/James - Edward/Mavis - Salty - Bill/Ben - Donald/Douglas - Diesel - Duck - 'Arry - Bert - Skarloey - Oliver - Rheneas/Rosie - Rusty

Captain Crutch

I wish I was that handy. Hopefully they'll bring him back to the series so Bachmann may actually make him.

Captain Crutch

What did you use to achieve that water affect. Sorry but I like to make little movies and it could be a cool addition to some future projects. Yet again you have amazed me. Everything you do with these models is amazing. Can't wait to see more from you.

ThomasFan247

A mirror and Sony Vegas video effects. It took me quite a bit of time, but it was all worth it in the end :)

Chaz

Well Duke is all ready to go, handrails, handlebars and lining have all been taken care of!  As promised here are some pictures:

Really happy with the final results!  The lining was difficult, it wasn't easy working with tape that's smaller than the fingernail on my pinky... A good friend of mine also helped with the rest of the details too.  Duke will be running during our clubs annual Christmas show alongside Skarloey once the mine is finished and completed in time before December.

Now that I have Duke in my collection, it makes me even more excited/hopeful for a Bachmann Sir Handel and Peter Sam in the future. :P

Captain Crutch

It's easiest to apply stickers and decals with a toothpick and/or tweezers. It'll still be hard with stickers that small but it definitely makes a difference. I'm sure that Stuart and Falcon... I mean Sir Handle and Peter Sam will come in the near future. Not too many little engines and these are selling like hot cakes. Can't wait to see more from you guys.

Chaz

Been a while since I posted in this thread but I've started work on landscaping the mountain:

Planning on painting over the mountain soon once everything dries.  Already it's looking more like a mountain!

grandpuff

Great photos of your model Duke locomotive, my favorite. Very nicely done.

Could you expand on how it was done and what parts were used in its construction such as chassis and body parts used, etc.

I have been wanting to build one myself and would like to know more about how yours was built.

Also does it run on N gauge track?

Thank you for any information you can share,

Grandpuff
Grandpuff