News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

I have a 4x8 space in which I'd like to have either a completely narrow gauge layout or a dual-gauge with predominantely narrow gauge... anyone know where I could find layout ideas? Google isn't giving me very many good results. Thanks!
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Griffin on February 27, 2018, 11:22:04 AM
I have a 4x8 space in which I'd like to have either a completely narrow gauge layout or a dual-gauge with predominantely narrow gauge... anyone know where I could find layout ideas? Google isn't giving me very many good results. Thanks!

Personally if I were you, I'd start by drawing what I'd like for a layout on paper or the computer, then start making comparisons to whatever you want to reference be it photos, layouts, drawings, etc.  That's how I've done it in the past on layouts I've built, and probably going to do the same here once I get my HOn30 layout underway.  The key is to have a build plan made up before you start building, otherwise you're going to come to a snag point and need to take time and think before moving further.  As is plans tend to change once you start a project, so having a build plan to work off of makes things a little easier or at least easier than planning as you go along.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

grandpuff

Hello to All:

Just to let everyone know, I just pre-ordered Rusty from TW with an estimated due date of June 2018.

I have also started a small HOn30 2 by 4 foot layout based on the Gorre & Dephetid HO layout of John Allen fame. I will post a few photos as soon I can take some.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Anthony P2

Awesome! Thanks for the update on Rusty, Grandpuff! :)
Looking forward to seeing pictures of the HOn30 layout!

Chaz

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be preordering Rusty and the HO spiteful brake van there tonight!  The coaches are not listed yet, I have a feeling those won't be out until next year since they were the only new additions in this year's announcement that isn't a recolor.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

grandpuff

Hello again:

Here is a copy of the HO G&D track plan I am using as a model for my HOn30 layout. The original layout was about 3 by 7 feet and my layout using Peco HOn30 track is just 2 by 4 feet. The curves are tight and the grades steep but this is a narrow gauge logging and mining railroad after all. I have tested Skarloey and Rheneas on curves as tight as 6 inch radius and grades of up to 6% so we will see how it all works out.

The second photo shows progress so far with the track roadbed and cork all down. The photo shows the switch templates used to correctly position the track. The turntable is a Peco 6 inch N scale manual turntable that can be driven my either a crank or electric motor. I am using Peco switches because they have a locking point setup so that they can be used manually. While the Peco track is actually N gauge the narrow gauge track has wider spaced ties to represent HOn30 or OO9. The Peco track and switches have been ordered and should be here next week. I will post additional photos once some track is down. The two elevated sections of roadbed in the center area will be timber trestles which I am building now. The ruler in the photo is 15 inches for reference and the layout is 2 by 4 feet for portability. The layout photo may appear upside down because I cannot figure out how to edit it in TinyPic.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Angelob6660

"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

BassTbone

Quote from: grandpuff on December 17, 2017, 11:24:16 PM
Hi Griffin:

I finally have an answer for you regarding the faces that I plan to use for my Mighty Mac loco you asked about back on page 11.

The set of faces that I got from a Take and Play Mighty Mac turned out to be too big.

After doing a little searching I found a couple of derelict Ertl metal Rheneas locos which have the correct size faces to fit my Mighty Mac.

I added a lick of hair on one and some freckels on the other and I think they will work well as stand-ins on my model.

I do not know why my photos are not appearing only the link, does anyone know what I am doing incorrectly?

Still waiting for some good outdoor painting weather.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.

Grandpuff

How wide is the smokebox on these kits? 

grandpuff

BassTbone:

The smoke boxes on my Mighty Mac loco are slightly less than 7/16 of an inch. This is why it was difficult to find faces small enough to fit. The Ertl metal Rheneas faces were the only ones I was able to find that would fit properly.

I just finished laying the track on my HOn30 layout and I am wiring the track and panel now. I am still building the bents for both trestles and will take a few more photos soon.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

grandpuff

Hello to All:

I see that there has not been much activity lately so I thought that I would post a few progress shots of my 2 by 4 foot HOn30 layout. As I have posted earlier the layout is based on John Allen's first Gorre & Daphetid 3 by 7 Foot HO layout. I just reduced it to 2 by 4 feet and used N gauge track in the smaller space. I am using Devil's Gulch & Helengon as my railroad name as that is what John Allen called his Narrow Gauge railroad.

I have just finished laying the track and switches, installed the control panel, and started the 2 wood trestles. I still need to install the switches in the control panel for the track blocks and the turntable tracks and then wire it all so that I will have control of which loco I am running since there is provision for just one wireless cab control. I have installed the timber trestle bents but I still need to finish all of the stringers on both trestles. So far I have installed 5 turntable stalls including a fifth reserved for Rusty and plan on adding about 3 more for a small engine shed and maybe one or two extras for a total of ten stalls. Scenery wise there will be a small sawmill on the upper right spurs which can see seen sitting on the layout and a small mine entrance on the spur at the upper right of the layout. The track plan is basically a spiral up and down and a small branchline to the sawmill, two short spurs at the mine, two yard tracks, and the turntable. The turntable is a Peco N scale 6 inch manual turntable to which I have added a crank attachment which can be seen at the left of my control panel in the first photo.

I am adding 4 progress photos but I am having a problem with editing the photos in TinyPic to display correctly, so sorry if they are not rotated as they should be shown. If anyone knows what I am not doing correctly please let me know.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

I hope you all enjoy seeing my layout progress as I always enjoy seeing the progress others have posted here. Looking forward to Rusty getting here and also to seeing Chaz progress on his Duncan loco. I hope that this post brings some life back to my favorite Bachmann Forum thread.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Angelob6660

I love the process Grandpuff. I can't see from the pictures of adding more engine stalls.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

Funny you should mention Duncan, he is making slow progress but he is now being painted.  Pictures will be coming soon!  I also ordered pinstripes as well as his nameplate and number too.  Watch this space!

AJW98Productions

Wow, grandpuff, I'm very impressed with how the layout has coming along, and equally impressed with how Mighty Mac, Duke, and the coaches have turned out! Keep up the good work! :) I look forward to seeing more in the future.

~Alex :)

Chaz

Well as promised here's an update on Duncan, but first we will start from the beginning.

To say Duncan is a piece of work, is an understatement, ironically enough like his persona.  There was a lot to plan out with the model, and painting it properly proved to be very difficult.  Only just the beginning too!

Here is Duncan with his first coat of automotive primer.  

Then Jay and I tackled the yellow paint, giving him a few coats of that as well.

Of course, the paint turned out a little too thick so we restarted the process and Jay took over painting from there as well as generously adding the coal load in the bunkers for me.

The Ertl face has also been added today after some further sanding on the smokebox.

Currently here is what's left with Duncan:

- Nameplate and number - which I already ordered on narrow planet

- pinstripes.  These arrived today, will add them after getting the nameplate/number on Duncan

- whistle ordered from Peter's Spares.  "An engine is not an engine without a whistle."

- handrail and dummy hooks (which a friend of mine is currently looking for)

- motor and chassis.  This will come from a Minitrains Stainz locomotive recommended by 2a-Rail himself.

Aside from eyebrows looking wonky, which is an easy fix as well as benefit from some weathering, I'm pretty happy with it so far.  Hoping to keep you guys updated on him soon, then things will really "Rock n' Roll" around here!  Kind of glad I am making my own Duncan rather than worrying about Bachmann making him in his unflattering CG render if they ever announce him.  Pretty much would only mean Sir Handel and Peter Sam are the only narrow gauge engines I want Bachmann to make at this point.

Watch this space..!

Special thanks goes to DecadesofSun and Michael (Basstbone) for the support and advice on this project and helping it get so far.