News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandpuff

While completing my Duncan model the original Shapeways 3D loco body that I ordered was printed and shipped from the UK. This model was very nicely done with fine detail and very smooth surfaces. Unfortunately I dropped this model and had to order a replacement. Apparently now when you order anything from Shapeways from the USA the order is now printed in Queens, NY or Salt Lake City, UT which does cut down the delivery time and shipping costs. My issue is that the quality of the 3D model printed in the USA does not seem to be of the same as the original model printed in the UK. I only noticed this because I had both side by side to compare. Has anyone else had this experience?

Perhaps someone familiar with this issue could enlighten us.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

TheJJ

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been on here, but I'm glad to see how active the forum is. As far as Rusty and Duncan go, I personally don't mind how Rusty looks in CGI, Duncan on the other hand is a different story. Fortunately I feel that's an issue we don't have to worry about anytime soon. Unless I missed the announcement of Duncan, I just gotta believe it'll be Peter Sam who is made next.

Seeing as this is a Narrow Gauge modeling thread I do have to ask something, that may not entirely be Bachmann related.
Where does everyone else find their HOn3 engines. Maybe it's just me but it seems to be impossible to find any online outside of this T&F line.

(Links and recommendations would be greatly appreciated)

I only ask because I wanted to add an HOn3 ( HO Narrow Gauge) section to my layout and I don't want it to be entirely T&F themed. Although if Peter Sam is announced I might change my stance on that.

Thanks for your help/feedback.
-JJ

grandpuff

First of all I think you have confused the different HO/OO narrow gauge modeling scales or gauges.

HOn3 refers to HO scale 3 foot gauge.

HOn30 or OO9 are the scale and gauges used for our Thomas narrow gauge models.

HOn30 refers to HO scale (1/87) with a gauge of 30 inches, also sometimes called HOn2 1/2.

OO9 refers to OO scale (1/76) with a gauge of 9mm or N gauge track.

This may be why you are having difficulty finding what you are looking for regarding Thomas narrow gauge equipment which will not run on HOn3 track.

I hope this helps,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Chaz

I actually talked about this in depth in one of the earlier posts in this thread with pictures included:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,32140.msg238181.html#msg238181

Hope this helps.

On that note, Duncan is on hiatus since I am still waiting for some parts from the U.K. To come in.  Huge thank you to grandpuff for generously mailing me more parts for the model!  Once I am done with my internship I will get back to working on him soon.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TheJJ

I can't believe one 0 have me such a headache in what I was looking for. Thank you, Grandpuff, for pointing out my mistake, but even still it is hard to find a lot of 009 or HOn30 models. This has definitely helped my search though! And thank you too you as well Chaz!

Chaz

No problem!  Forgot to respond to one part of your post earlier:

Quote from: TheJJ on August 06, 2018, 09:43:18 PM
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been on here, but I'm glad to see how active the forum is. As far as Rusty and Duncan go, I personally don't mind how Rusty looks in CGI, Duncan on the other hand is a different story. Fortunately I feel that's an issue we don't have to worry about anytime soon. Unless I missed the announcement of Duncan, I just gotta believe it'll be Peter Sam who is made next.

Duncan hasn't been announced yet from Bachmann, we are still currently waiting on Rusty.  I also agree that Peter Sam would make the most sense if he got announced next.  I did a post sharing my thoughts on why I think bachmann should announce him earlier this year:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34526.msg254930.html#msg254930

Also talked about brake vans for narrow gauge here too:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34526.msg254654.html#msg254654
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Len

Reynaulds has a fair amount of HOe equipment that can either be used 'as is', or modified into something else.

https://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_221.aspx

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

grandpuff

Since it has been almost a month from the last post here,  I thought that I would post an update on my completed and current projects. First I am very happy with the final image for Rusty posted here in another thread. I will be very happy get him hopefully sometime before the end of the year. I have also completed my Duncan model inspired by Chaz project posted here on previous pages.

As you can see in the first photo my OO9 Thomas Narrow Gauge loco roster is steadily growing. Next to the shed is Smudger purchased from BassTBone, thank you Michael. next is Mighty Mac and Duke built by myself, Skarloey, Rheneas by Bachmann, and Duncan just completed following Chaz Duncan project. You can also see in the foreground the 3D printed Peter Sam and the Bachmann 0-4-0 N scale swithcher to be used for a power chassis for Peter Sam. I am also gathering parts required for future projects to build Sir Handel and Freddie.

Here are a few close up photos of my Duncan model. The Minitrains Stainz loco used for a power chassis is a very smooth runner although at a very high price. I am really not to clear on the controversy discussed here about the differences between the model series Duncan and the CGI Duncan and hope someone here can explain this to the rest of us

Here is a close up of the 3D printed Peter Sam and the Bachmann N scale 0-4-0 chassis I will be using to build my next project.

After I have finished all of these models I will have most of the Narrow Gauge models needed for my narrow gauge layout also under construction. I am still very interested in obtaining all of the narrow gauge models that Bachmann produces over the next several years to complete the "first six" but my models will serve as very nice place holders until that happens.

If anyone can explain to me why my photos are not displaying properly I would appreciate it. I have searched everywhere for how to edit photos in Tiny Pic and I cannot find anything. My photos display properly on my iPhone but not on my computer. Help Please!

Enjoy,
Grandpuff

Grandpuff

SethDav

If anyone wants slate truck faces, here you go! They are 1cm by 1cm in dimensions, though. Not sure if they fit well on the Bachmann, though.

Accurate to the on-screen variants seen in Trucks! (S4), Toad Stands By, and Snow (S5).

Cheeky_ULP

looking good sean, people will love adding those to their slate wagons

Angelob6660

Very impressive work, grandpuff. It's nice to see your narrow gauge locomotive roster growing.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

grandpuff

Thank you angelob6660. I have the Bachmann 0-4-0  chassis modified and the 2 wheel trailing wheels added so I now have the 0-4-2T chassis done. Now that I know how to modify the chassis I plan on doing two more of the same to use for Sir Handel and Proteus. Painting and lining of the loco body is next so should have some more photos of Peter Sam in a week or two.

Granduff
Grandpuff

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: grandpuff on September 05, 2018, 12:06:10 AM
Thank you angelob6660. I have the Bachmann 0-4-0  chassis modified and the 2 wheel trailing wheels added so I now have the 0-4-2T chassis done. Now that I know how to modify the chassis I plan on doing two more of the same to use for Sir Handel and Proteus. Painting and lining of the loco body is next so should have some more photos of Peter Sam in a week or two.

Granduff
Ooh, Proteus. Never thought about him. Nice!

J70Toby

I recently finished my first narrow gauge model: Cora, one of the Skarloey Railway brake vans in the Railway Series.

I was very surprised to find a kit of the exact basis.

grandpuff

Toby:

I really like your Cora model. Very nicely done. Who is the kit made by?

I just pre-ordered the Narrow gauge red carriages from TW. I have already built my own blue carriages and also the green open air coaches which can be seen on earlier pages of this thread. For those that may be having a hard time finding these for pre-order at TW they are listed on the N scale pre-order page. Apparently TW is confused about the difference between HO scale models that run on N scale track being HOn30 or OO9 models and not N scale models.

For those interested in my Peter Sam loco project it has been completed and the only thing I am waiting for is the arrival of the name and number plates this coming week. As soon as they have been installed I will have a few photos to post.

Grandpuff

Grandpuff